Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket+Sourcetree: Tutorial issues; commit says "Please tell me who you are"

lejonmanen March 22, 2014

Hello!

I've been wrestling with getting Sourcetree to work for the last day. I'm failing on the tutorial. First obstacle was finding the "SSH/HTTPS button". There's no such button. There is a "clone" button which shows a dialog where you can select HTTPS or SSH and click "Clone in Sourcetree". I assumed the latter button is what was expected. The tutorial didn't help me at all in figuring out how to setup an SSH key, fortunately I was eventually able to fix that.

Next obstacle was figuring out that the tutorial forced me to install Git. Maybe I should have figured that out faster, there were some hints. (I wanted to only use Mercurial since I find the idea of two separate version control systems on the same machine redundant. Beats me why the tutorial assumes git.)

The current obstacle occurred when I, having cloned the repository, checked out the code and made some changes; tried to commit. Git gave me an error message: "Please tell me who you are". After googling this error (which the tutorial didn't warn me about) it seems I should install Git separate from Sourcetree and do some configuration to it. The really weird thing is that I entered my name and email address in the Sourcetree options menu, general tab, Default user information. I checked the "Allow SourceTree to modify your global Git and Mercurial config files". So Sourcetree should tell Git whatever Git needs to know. Is this how the tutorial is supposed to work?

I'm using Windows Vista and SourceTree version 1.4.1.0. Thanks in advance for any help

/David

4 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2014

Try modifying the option for "Use global user settings" in Repository -> Repository Settings --> Advanced

lejonmanen March 23, 2014

After disabling and enabling that option, commit went through without any problems. Someone should probably fix this in the code though. Confuses new users, such as me...

Antoine Guédès December 30, 2015

I had the same issue, and this worked perfectly. Thank you!

Manohar Cheruvupalle February 10, 2016

thanks a lot it worked for me.

1 vote
Peter E August 13, 2015

The response of Seth Foss didn't help me, but I found that this worked for me:

Settings > Edit Config File ...

Then look for this section: "[user]" and remove any duplicates. (I had multiple entries of this section).

Ses Vinyes January 8, 2017

Seth answer didn't work for me either, but this did! Thanks a lot!

By the way, I also had to add the e-mail manually in the config file:

email = myemial@server.com

Just below the "[user]" tag you mentioned. However, I'm guessing that after removing the extra "[user]" tags this wouldn't have been necessary if I had checked "Use global user settings".

Anyhow, thanks again!

Like ichibrosan likes this
0 votes
lejonmanen March 23, 2014

When I signed up to BitBucket, I was presented with a "tutorial repository". I've been following the README.text file in that, which is dated 2013-08-30.

(But the current problem is with git)

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2014

What tutorial are you using? Not too long ago, SourceTree only supported Git, not Mercurial, so it is sounds like an outdated tutorial.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events