BitBucket and Sourcetree: How to set up multiple users on same system

PeterM April 28, 2014

I have several test systems where multiple users may login and pull latest tests and run them, as well as make changes and push back to the repository. We use Bitbucket and Sourcetree with Git. We are using SSH and not Mercurial.

For example, I want to be able to have UserA log into the system, and pull the latests tests, and also change tests and push them back. UserB then logs in later and does the same thing. But, all against a single repository on that system(i.e. when either user pulls, it goes to C:\Tests).

What is required for this scenario? Can the same instance of Git be used, or do they need their own? Each user needs their own SSH key? Can they use the same instance of Sourcetree, but with different logins?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2014

I believe what you are talking about should be doable, but all your obstacles are going to be in the OS, not SourceTree.

For starters, you'll need to make sure all potential users have read/write access to the repository directory and all subdirectories (including the hidden .git).

You'll also probably need to make sure the private key is accessible to all of the users. If you'd rather have per-user private keys, make sure to use an ssh agent (Pageant) that is configured to automatically start and load a key per user. You can use these instructions to make the shortcut, and put each user's shortcut in their personal startup folder. You also obviously need to register all the public keys into BitBucket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events