Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond Compare external merge tool won't start

EddieP September 29, 2015

Hi

The external diff works but the external merge does not. Below are my global .gitconfig settings. It worked once, but after that it stopped. When I select "Resolve Conflicts" -> "Launch External Merge Tool" I get a popup saying "Visual Merge in Progress" with Filename and Repository listed and a button to select "Abort".

I also tried updating to the latest 1.6.21 version.

[difftool "sourcetree"]
cmd = 'D:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 4/BComp.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"
[mergetool "sourcetree"]
cmd = 'D:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 4/BComp.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" \"$BASE\" \"$MERGED\"
trustExitCode = true
[core]
excludesfile = C:\\Users\\epatto.SONOSITE\\Documents\\gitignore_global.txt
autocrlf = true
[http]
[push]
default = current

I also tried using "Resolve Using Theirs" and the popup says "Could not update one or more files, please check that no other application is locking your files". Then I started process explorer and it said no process is locking the file.

Then I noticed that the same file was in SourceTrees "Unstaged Files" list. I'm learning git. Why would the file be in the staged and unstaged area? When I clicked on the file in the unstaged area, it disappeared from both the staged and unstaged windows. Strange.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

Eddie

1 answer

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2015

You might have a look here - Atlassian has verified this as an error in current sourcetree

I have the same problem - what I know yet: I'm running git 2.5.2 on windows7. git uses several .gitconfig files: systemwide, global and per repository. If the settings you mentioned above are within systemwide or global .gitconfig, launching the external diff- or merge-tool fails - but if those settings are within the config-file of the repository (within the .git folder) it works: at least that's the solution which works here ...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events