Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Reverting...

Richard Coy December 29, 2012

Hello, I am totally new to this git and repositories thing but I can see the benifits right away.

What is the best way to completely revert to a previous commit? Let's say I want to go back three commits ago and start over from that point. I'm using SourceTree.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MikeL December 29, 2012

If you want to trash the last 3 commits, select the commit you want to keep and invoke reset with the hard-option.

Richard Coy December 29, 2012

Thanks Mike. So in SourceTree is that right click on the commit I want and then choose "Reset master to this commit"? Does that change my local and remote repositories at the same time or is there a step after that for syncing?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2012

If you've already pushed these commits to a remote then you probably shouldn't be doing this, because the commits could already have been seen by someone else, which will then cause them problems if they're effectively orphaned and no longer part of the branch going forward.

If you know for sure that no-one except you has seen these commits then you can push your branch to the remote to bring it back into sync with your own local repo. What the reset is doing is moving the branch pointer backwards, orphaning the commits you made before, and which will get garbage collected eventually if nothing continued to point to them.

Richard Coy December 30, 2012

Thanks Steve. I'm the only developer on my current project so it's safe to do this but I'll remember in the future not to do it if I'm working with others.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events