Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting ip-banned because of SourceTree connections to my remote machine?

mrbohnke June 20, 2013

I use SourceTree for Mac. This started happening today…

Every time I open SourceTree and it connects using ssh and checks for changes on all the repositories (all of them in the same place), I get ip-banned…

If I do a top on the remote machine before opening SourceTree, then open it, I can see how it makes a login for every repository… and then suddenly everything freezes and my remote machine does not answer at all any more until I reboot my router for the IP to be changed…

My hosting provider is Dreamhost, if you guys think this is not SourceTree-related, I'll talk to them.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mrbohnke June 23, 2013

SSH, both.

It was finally hosting related. I'll paste their answer for future reference:

Hello,

I am very sorry you have had this trouble. Our security system administrator has looked into this matter, and found the the server's jail.local file was missing the correct override for the number of failed login attempts, causing the login to be blocked prematurely by our fail2ban routine.

He has corrected this, and you should no longer have this problem. I am sorry for the inconvenience this as caused, but happy to report the problem has been resolved.

Thank you anyway,

Cheers!

0 votes
mrbohnke June 20, 2013

Thanks Kieran.

Sadly, that didn't help. I turned "check default remotes for updates…" off but, as soon as SourceTree connected the first time when I tried to do a git-pull, connection freezed.

Note: This doesn't happen when I use git on terminal!

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2013

Are you using SSH or HTTPS in SourceTree and on the command line?

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

Hi Señor,

SourceTree does do checks in the background to see if there's any changes to pull. If you want to test if this is causing the problem you could turn this feature off in the preferences (General tab) as shown here:

Just turn off the "Check default remotes for updates every <X minutes>" checkbox and it won't do any background checks.

If your hosting provider is having a problem with this then it's worth speaking to them about it. In the meantime you can turn this feature off and manually hit fetch or pull on your repository. It doesn't stop you from pulling changes, it just stops background checks from happening to see if there is anything to pull.

Hope that helps

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events