Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After updating from sourcetree 2.4 to 2.5.5 I can no longer authenticate to my bitbucket server

Mike Pedersen May 11, 2018

I am using Windows 10 and have been using sourcetree for a while. After updating from a 2.4.x version to the 2.5.5 version I can no longer authenticate to our internal bitbucket server.

Hosting Service is Bitbucket Server.

Preferred Protocol is HTTPS.

Authentication is Basic.

I get this error:
Authentication Failed
Failed to check login for user [my login]
Insufficient authentication credentials
Sourcetree was unable to find a password for user 'my login' at 'my host url'.

What changed between 2.4 and 2.5 that would break authentication?

2 answers

1 vote
kirill June 12, 2018

THIS IS CRITICAL PRODUCTION BUG. HOW IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE THAT THIS VERSION IS UP FOR SO LONG TIME WITHOUT FIX?! WHERE IS YOUR QA, ATLASSIAN? IS IT BECAUSE ITS A FREE TOOL?

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2018

Hi

Looking at the log it looks like the issue is when using git commands, pull/push etc,  rather then REST commands, e.g. listing projects?

If that is the case are you being prompted to enter username/password when you run pull/push/fetch commands?

The Git Credential Manager for Windows which manages those credentials stores them in the Windows Credential Manager or Vault with the prefix 'git:'. Are their credentials in there matching your Bitbucket Server?

Also can you push/pull/fetch from the command line? 

Mike Pedersen May 14, 2018

I'm not sure which logs that you are looking at, but git is working fine in the command line (using local git on command line, not sourcetree git). I attempted to uninstall and reinstall sourcetree and I am getting the same issues.

I can duplicate this by going to Tools > Options > Authentication > Add - then entering the information as listed above. I cannot connect. I am assuming it is REST calls, not git calls. I can't list the projects or even authenticate to get view anything at all.

Mike Pedersen May 14, 2018

This is from the sourcetree.log file, though I replace my username with "username":

ERROR [2018-05-11 17:29:31,893] [1] [SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager] [ShowNotificationDialog] - Unable to set owner as parent is not visible or non-existent
ERROR [2018-05-11 17:30:24,084] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Insufficient authentication credentials
ERROR [2018-05-11 17:30:24,095] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Failed to check login for user [username]
ERROR [2018-05-11 17:32:40,101] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Insufficient authentication credentials
ERROR [2018-05-11 17:32:40,102] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Failed to check login for user [username]

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2018

Sorry I meant the error message, rather than log.

Can you tell me what versions of git you are running locally and in Sourcetree? If you switch Sourcetree to use your local version does it then work for git commands?

Thomas S. May 18, 2018

We have the very same issue here. Sourcetree 2.5.5, Bitbucket Server 5.10. If you enter the correct credentials, you get this error:

ERROR [2018-05-18 23:11:30,549] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Insufficient authentication credentials
ERROR [2018-05-18 23:11:30,550] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Failed to check login for user [xxxxxxx]

If you enter the wrong credentials, the error is different:

ERROR [2018-05-18 22:43:47,475] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [.ctor] - Failed to check login for user [xxxxyy] : You do not have permission to access URL 'https://[FQDN]/rest/api/1.0/users/xxxxyy' please check the user credentials associated with this account. The request returned with status code 'Unauthorized'.

vitruviauz1111 June 1, 2018

Same here. Sourcetree 2.5.5, Bitbucket Server 5.10. Same errors as above.

kirill June 1, 2018

Same here after updating from 2.4.8 to 2.5.5 unable to authenticate! Bitbucket server version 5.10.0

Helen June 5, 2018

Same error message here, unable to complete the installation and start the tool...

FYI, I raised a bug here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-8743

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events