Adding downloaded repository to SourceTree

Alpana Ladwani June 18, 2014

Hi,

I have a large repository on BitBucket and I wish to clone it in SourceTree but it takes endless time to clone. Moreover, my internet connection is not stable so each time the connection is interrupted, cloning starts all over again. So, I have downloaded a repository from BitBucket as zip and its around 1GB. How can I add this as repository to SourceTree and then push the updates back to BitBucket?

Thank you for your support in advance.

Regards
Alpana

2 answers

1 vote

Hi Celso,

Thank you for your reply. How do I check if its a clone of repositiory contents or a repository folder? I simply downloaded it from the Downloads page in BitBucket by clicking on the "Download Repository" link.

Also, do I need to "Create New Repository" in SourceTree by providing the path to the repository I downloaded before executing those commands?

Regards

Alpana

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Hi there,

Is the file just a clone of repository contents or is it the repository folder from git itself?

If it is a clone of the contents, I would recommend you to unzip the file and run a git init on it, setting the origin to bitbucket repository.

cd existing-project

git remote set-url origin bitbucket_repo_url

git push origin master

Please five it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Celso Yoshioka

Hi Celso,

Thank you for your reply. How do I check if its a clone of repositiory contents or a repository folder? I simply downloaded it from the Downloads page in BitBucket by clicking on the "Download Repository" link.

Also, do I need to "Create New Repository" in SourceTree by providing the path to the repository I downloaded before executing those commands?

Regards

Alpana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events