[dev team] Sourcetree for Windows 2019 Preview - Sidebar/Split View

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2019

Hi folks,

While the full post is over on our blog I'd like to share the repositories sidebar changes we've got planned for 2019 here directly as well to keep the discussion going. 

The development team truly values all your constructive feedback as you can hopefully tell in the demos below. We’re working on better transparency with our work and changes to improve communication are already underway. Please continue to share your thoughts so we deliver the best feature it can be!

Cheers,

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Repositories sidebar/split view

In the 2.0 release for Windows we simplified the UI complexity for both design and performance improvements based on app usage and user feedback. Part of that included replacing the sidebar - which contained a nested list of local repositories, provided an overview of their status, and provided quick access by mouse or keyboard - with what we call the “new tab experience.”

new_tab.png

While well received in general we heard from some that they weren’t able to be as efficient with this new navigational experience. Since then the ticket for its return become our second highest Windows request. For many it remains a reason to stick with the last 1.9 release due to the potential for disruption.

Empowering our users and ensuring they have a pleasant development experience remains our foremost priority. To achieve that we explored many different options while working in hand in hand with our passionate users and we’re excited to share the results of that effort.

sidebar1.gifsidebar2.gif

Coming soon

These aren’t just shiny demos though. While we don’t have a specific ETA to share right now for either of the features it’s safe to say you’ll see them released during the first half of 2019. We’ve already started sharing betas for the sidebar with our friends in the Sourcetree Beta Program to gather feedback and we’d appreciate yours too.

1 comment

Kobus Smit January 17, 2019

How do I show and pin the Repositories sidebar?

My v3.0.17-beta-2660 does not have the same button below the Close button as can be seen in your gif:

Clipboard Image.png Clipboard Image (1).png

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2019

@Kobus Smit Mike C sent a test build for the sidebar to gather feedback, it's not a part of 3.0.17. Per the blog post, we don't have ETAs on when either of the features are shipping officially.

Kobus Smit January 17, 2019

Oh ok @bgannin, where can I download the test build? 

bgannin
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2019

Please check the mailing list archives, I'm not sure offhand.

Kobus Smit January 20, 2019

Hi Team,

I've tried the test build and I like the pinned side bar. 

Thanks for listening to your passionate users!

You moved my cheese by pinning it to the right. ;)
First prize would be to be able to pin it to the left or right, but I can compromise in the mean time.

I'd switch from v1.9 to v3 as soon as the modern sidebar is available in beta builds, as I understand that we should not use the once off test build daily.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events