Why I am downgrading to 1.x

Allyn October 4, 2017

I love SourceTree, but the changes in 2.x are just too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. It feels like whatever framework was being used for the UI was replaced with something much worse and buggier. SourceTree is constantly trying to refresh everything but seemingly never in an up-to-date state. Then the whole screen flashes and all my branch folders close...almost always right when I am trying to use them...and they will close again shortly after I open one because of the constant attempts to refresh (that don't seem to work anyway). It's become hard to trust the information SourceTree is giving me with regard to which files have changed. I get constant login prompts even when I should still be logged in. I don't recall any of these problems prior to 2.x so I am downgrading to the latest 1.x where I felt SourceTree was a great app. I hope you're able to resolve all the issues introduced in 2.x. I'm sure I will eventually try the newer versions again after a few more major patches.

5 comments

Allyn October 4, 2017

Also, not as big a deal as the bugs, but I really liked the bookmarks bar so I'm looking forward to having that back when I revert.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017
, I agree.  I liked the 1.x version better too.  2.x is a little too Fisher Price for me and it is more difficult to add and configure repositories. Bookmarks bar +++.
pd
rwyborn October 8, 2017

I have also downgraded to 1.x, primarily because the change/diff information is completely unreliable in all 2.x versions (see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7233).

It has now been 5 months since the last release which is completely broken (i.e. above bug)... Atlassian?

Blake Pell October 24, 2017

As SourceTree was completely unusable for me I've had to move on and use another product which I won't name here.

The fact that SourceTree wouldn't even start on multiple computers regardless of any fix I tried (including re-installing) forced me into having to find software that works.  Even before this, the 2.0 UI had a large about of bugs and annoyances (the largest annoyance being that it was incredibly inconsistent in tracking files and updating the UI, I would often have to reboot it to get updates on changes in code).

There are a few things that SourceTree handled better than other clients and I miss those things but until the program starts, can be updated without the updater crashing and is stable in general I won't be back.

harrie pearce October 31, 2017

I've gone back to 1.9 as version 2 is just too slow...

I've been installing updates when available and running 2.3.1.0, but the lag with everything has gotten worse with every update - waiting minutes for goodness knows why until the Commit button turns active??

Using 1.9 is such a relief having commit available almost immediately and overall performance is snappy.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events