Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

SourceTree for Windows unstable, consuming massive resources

I've just updated to the latest version on windows ( and I'm seeing a lot of problems.

I have six repos open and on startup the spawned git command is throttling the CPU (and this is on a brand new PC).

I've had several crashes, and annoyingly on recovery, it appears to lose the repository I had just completed cloning before the crash.

Is anyone else seeing this instability?


Use SourceTree

For me, its the best working version in ST2. It also doesn't take 2 minutes to initialize your branches and do a simple branch switch. (it takes 10 seconds in total)

I am seeing the same problem, and also with Ver I have problems merging (asking me to restart merge multiple times) and frequently get the "Source tree could not update one or more files, please check that no other application is locking your files." error message. I also get errors preventing from switching branches that I did not see in earlier versions. Sometimes (but not always) I get source tree back to working properly, if I temporarily log off and then log in again. This is on a Win7 64-bit system.

In the meantime I reverted to hoping that the issues would go away. But now that older version is also no longer working, and I see similar problems as with and described above. It looks like the earlier upgrade to and corrupted something in my git folder. Unfortunately, after only about two months using SourceTree, I am not experienced enough to fix this.


Log in or Sign up to comment
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

5,785 views 4 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you