SourceTree for Mac's repo browser fails to refresh local status

doug October 3, 2017

On the Mac, SourceTree's Repository Browser window generally fails to refresh its *local* git status. Opening a repo window will show that (for example) 7 unstaged files in a project, but the Repository Browser window will show no files modified. Then some minutes later (tens of minutes?) something will cause the Repository Browser to update itself.

It's frustrating, because the product I work is built from 8 separate git-managed projects, and I can no longer simply look at the Repository Browser window to find out which projects have modifications that need to be committed.

This Repository Browser window's local status used stay tightly in sync with the actual repo status, but it stopped working sometime in the last couple of months. Maybe with the SourceTree 2.6 release?

With some experimentation I have figured out that I can get a project's local status to refresh if I (a) quit and restart SourceTree; or (b) drag and drop the project into or out of a Repository Group folder; or (c) change the SourceTree theme from light to dark or vice versa.

If there is some technical reason why Atlassian doesn't want the Repository Browser window to periodically poll all git repos for their local status, then it would be much better to at least have a manual refresh function. Swapping the theme between light/and dark to force a refresh is non-optimal.

12 comments

Greg Galloway October 10, 2017

I'll second this. The lack of refreshing the Repository Browser is extremely frustrating and hurting productivity. I find myself opening projects just to find that I have committed and pushed all changes already.

This one bug is enough to make me want to go back to an earlier version or find an alternative product.

Please fix ASAP!

dmaiercwp November 21, 2017

Having the same issue for a while now. Definitely frustrating... :/

Chris Carpenter December 13, 2017

This has been driving me crazy. I wish they would fix this!!

dmaiercwp December 13, 2017

Yeah, what's the deal with this bug? Driving me nuts as well. I have to open every single repository to make sure things were committed already.

Chris Carpenter December 13, 2017

I can't even get my repository browser to update at all. Changes aren't tracked and the branch shown isn't even correct either. Super frustrating. To the point I'm looking at other git GUIs now.

dmaiercwp December 13, 2017

That's awful! I'm so far having issues only with the repository browser {knock on wood}.

If I close the app and reopen, it gets updated. But that's just annoying.

Sorry about your other issues!

Alexander Schiftner January 19, 2018

Same problem here, repository browser does not update on Mac unless restarting Sourcetree, it's frustrating, please fix it.

Nate Weiss January 31, 2018

I also have this problem. FWIW, I've found that the easiest way to get the repo browser to refresh is to use the little gear icon at top right to toggle the "Compact View" setting.

Doug Doe February 21, 2018

Looking forward to seeing this one fixed.

stefan March 7, 2018

Same here - so far switching the view to compact (back and forth) works for me as a workaround:

source_tree_compact_view.png

Sourcetree 2.6.3 (134)
macOS 10.13.3 

SSilence March 21, 2018

I have the same problem only in compact view. Switching between full and compact view refreshes the list.

Sourcetree 2.7.1 (159)
macOS 10.13.3

Zhemin Zhang April 15, 2018

Same here, please FIX!

Nate Weiss April 18, 2018

Noticed that the release notes show this issue as fixed as of 2.7.2. Updated and it looks like the bug is indeed fixed, at least for me. Thank you, this is really helpful!

dmaiercwp April 18, 2018

It looks like it has been finally fixed for me as well! 🙌🏼

sabiston May 4, 2019

Two year old thread ha doesn't seem like they care too much about fixing this, but I sure wouldn't pay for this product the way it is!  Please fix this bug.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events