Reasons why I uninstalled SourceTree

DrZoop September 14, 2017

Today, I finally gave up on SourceTree for Windows for both work and at home.  I felt obligated to state the reasons why, because I know that if I were in Atlassian's shoes, I would like to have a thoughtful explanation of what makes a user come or go.  

I am certain it is within Atlassian's capability to fix these problems and hopefully bring me back!

• Whatever asynchonous file detection change that was made a few months ago to SourceTree is the deal breaker.  We get partial change detections, with no feedback saying that it is still finding all the changes.  Restarting SourceTree after each operation became our workflow...
  • We get non-stop log in requests.  It will always ask you twice, regardless of whether your credentials are correct.  We were still able to push and pull, so it seemed pointless.  Our solution is to leave SourceTree closed until we really need it.
  • Lack of "real" progress bars.  I understand sometimes Git doesn't provide feedback, so I can't propose a solution, but, we found out the hard way that SourceTree wasn't successfully pulling a LFS repository.  We kept it running overnight on two computers thinking it was hopefully doing something... it wasn't.  We contacted support, and they told us to reinstall everything, the classic "turn it off and back on" solution.
  • The above issue led us to try to get a "clean install" of SourceTree and anything related to Git.  Reinstalling over itself didn't seem to resolve it, so we tried uninstalling first, but that didn't work either.  We found out that the uninstaller of SourceTree removes very little.  There were all sorts of left over files, far beyond some random settings files one may expect.  We had effectively had to manually uninstall, which was frustrating, but did solve the issue ultimately.
  • Each time we update, at least recently, it puts us through the setup wizard like it was the first time we ever installed, even asking us to pick our first repository.  I always hit "skip" once I get to that point, but it always made me scratch my head.  Not a dealbreaker, but an "easy win."

You haven't lost us completely, we still use BitBucket!

Thanks!

3 comments

Henrik Cooke September 14, 2017

We are also experiencing a lot of these issues lately.

Blake Pell September 19, 2017

I've experienced many of the same issues (yesterday it was only committing half of the files I had set to commit, rebooting fixed that).

- Tracking of repositories stops working, reboot fixes the issue.

- Client doesn't commit all of the files that have been selected.  Reboot fixes the issue.

- Opening a new tab to a repository just freezes (randomly, not all the time, reboot fixes).

- Now, the client just won't start.  Nothing.  I effectively can't use it at all.

Now it's updated to version 2.3.1.0 and it's 100% completely unusable.  It won't start.  I've uninstalled it and re-installed it.  I've uninstalled it, removed all the files I could find related to it and reinstalled it.  Nothing.  Since it flat out won't start I have no option but to switch clients (I'm not rebuilding my machine for SourceTree).

To the best I can find it looks like this null reference isn't handled -->

ERROR [2017-09-19 10:30:14,728] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-19 10:30:14,884] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

Blake Pell September 19, 2017

My original comment disappeared.

I'm having many of these same issues including the program crashing on startup with a null exception in the logs (can't use the newest version at all).

- Repositories aren't tracking consistently (reboot fixes).  

- Not all files that I set to commit actually get committed.  Reboot fixes.

- In the newest version it won't even start.  I've uninstalled and deleted every file I can find (log indicated it was a null exception on showing some dialog).  The only resolution for me has to been to revert to an older version.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events