Is the development in sourctree dead? Quality of atlassian products get worse?

DaveCS May 21, 2020

Im really shocked that atlassian has a buggy product like sourcetree and since months nothing is changed (windows version but now even mac version). Even the beta discussion group is dead.

And the worst part? No communication from atlassian... 

I noticed in other programs like bamboo similiar things... stil no offical java11 support - development is very slow but at least the quality is much better than sourcetree..

What happend to atlassian? If you cannot support a product like sourctree than stop it and remove it from your product line. No one will trust in your programs after using a buggy program like this with a sloppy development. 

At least you have to communicate if you have problems like that (development member was gone - you are working on a solution...). 

6 comments

Benjamin Durth June 1, 2020

open source it, I'd be happy to contribute :)

Like # people like this
Luca Zambarda October 27, 2020

Same here!

createdbyjurand February 19, 2021

Me too.

Although I can gladly contribute to not-open-source project also, if you have a space for an extra developer :)

P_ Mergey November 26, 2020

In fact, the real problem is not so much that SourceTree no longer seems to be in active development, but that Atlassian no longer communicates on this product: no news on the official blog for more than a year (which in the computing field looks like an aeon).

Nonetheless, considering the current global context, perhaps it is appropriate to be patient...

Like DaveCS likes this
Benjamin Durth November 26, 2020

Maybe, but even before Corona I had the strong feeling that the product did not get much attention, in fact, from what I know only one person worked on it full time (MacOS) and after leaving the company not much happened anymore despite the occasional fix/ git bump.

The software as it is works great 99% of the time but some quality of life fixes would be great, I don't know what the strategy is here since the software is still widely used in the industry and since it is free it is a strong loyalty catalyst and an argument to chose Atlassian products overall.

Like DaveCS likes this
DaveCS November 26, 2020

I don't understand the current strategy either. All selfhosted products will be discontinued at the end of January 2021. 

The only alternative is to use data-center but bamboo is not ready yet nor will data-center support bitbucket pipeline. This is something i never thought could happen with atlassian products. It means even more they are unreliable...

If they make a hard move like that why the hell not wait until the alternative is ready?

P_ Mergey November 30, 2020

For those of you who use Twitter, note that Official Atlassian support just sent me a response (which leaves a little hope to receive some fresh news).

Like createdbyjurand likes this
Benjamin Durth December 1, 2020

Same here, they said development is "definitely not dead"... thats a start

Like # people like this
createdbyjurand February 19, 2021

I really like ST, for me is the best GIT manager there is.
Even though last version is buggy, I sill like to use it.
Hope the fixes come soon :)

Like mdallalana likes this
P_ Mergey July 19, 2021

Against all odds, the old version of SourceTree I used up to now (3.3.7) suddenly detected the availability of an update (3.4.5) that can be installed.

We can therefore say that the development of this product still seems to be ongoing (at least until May 2021, as indicated in the update of the release notes).

But there is still no formal communication however, neither on the blog, nor on the Twitter account...

Like ChuckieAJ likes this
ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2022

The version I just installed is 3.4.7 so there have been a couple of tweaks! :)

I do like SourceTree but there are features of TortoiseGit I miss. Eg: when typing a commite message TortoiseGit offers a dropdown list of file names or methods that are in the new code base. Quite handy.

But I like the GUI concept of SourceTree. But, I don't understand why I must put my passphrase in for the ssh key everytime I start it. Surely the first time I start it after logging in to my PC is sufficient. It should cache it or go to system tray. :)

Derek Bowes February 9, 2022

I think you are missing a few. its at 4.1.4 and looks like it will be there for the foreseeable future.  

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2022

Apparently the Mac version is 4.1.4 but the Windows version is 3.4.7.

Like P_ Mergey likes this
P_ Mergey February 10, 2022

I agree with @ChuckieAJ : the versioning of the Windows version does not match the same incrementation as that for Mac ones. See this page for details (where the most recent Windows version is still missing).

Like ChuckieAJ likes this
ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2022

Release Notes from the Help menu takes you to:

https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/ReleaseNotes_3.4.7.html

SourceTree 3.4.7 [15 November 2021]

Changes

• Display special characters known as Unicode bidirectional characters. CVE-2021-42574
  • Fixed: "Open current version" menu option from a deleted file not disabled in the file contextual menu.
  • Fixed: Not transitioning to the commit history view when checkbox "After committing, stay in commit dialog..." is unchecked.
  • Fixed: Archive file path validation to ensure correct file path and extension are used.
Derek B August 29, 2022

Looks like 3.4.9 was released.

https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events