Buggy submodule support in Sourcetree

I am using SourceTree for a while now (almost 3 years) on OSX (now macOS).

Our code is hosted on Github, and one of our repositories uses a submodule (e.g: references another repository).

We are experiencing occasional problems with this - once in a while SourceTree will fail to pull / push changes from the submodule. I was wondering whether anyone else is having issues with submodules as well ?

3 comments

I noticed issues with the latest version of SourceTree (2.0.20.1). I can't even get to the point where I can push submodules. SourceTree will say my repository has uncommitted changes but it will not list the submodules so I can't commit them. It makes the latest version of SourceTree useless for me.

Are you sure that is the latest? i am on a MAC, latest version is 2.5.1 (105).

Once in a while we'll get submodule issues, pretty annoying.

I see a different issue with Submodules.  After running git submodule add (from the command line, the "File Status" window in SourceTree shows the .gitmodules file AND the related folder as both "Pending" (with a green +) and "Clean" (yellow ellipsis) simultaneously.  

Could these be related to submodule branch tracking? (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/SourceTree-questions/Submodule-branch-tracking-in-the-SourceTree/qaq-p/601735). When no submodule branch is checked out which is the default state of teh SourceTree all the wierd things happen. Looks like a bug to me...

Comment

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

253 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot