Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID Vaccines

Hello again,

Curious to know people's opinion regarding the Corona vaccines. For those who already got it can you please share your experience? For those like me who didn't get it yet what's stopping you?

I, personally is afraid of all the side effects that have been reported(regarding both Pfizer and Moderna). I am aware that there isn't any vaccine with no problems but when death is involved I am concerned 🤔

Do you think researchers had enough time to test their vaccines? I don't think so. Every single lab has been working hard to find this miracle cure or vaccine. All I am seeing is one day some positive news, then few days later the hope is killed.

I am very interested to learn more about J&J vaccine that comes in one dose and was mainly tested on elderly.

Until I read everyone's comments stay safe by staying home and navigating through the Atlassian Community 😉😜

Best,

Fadoua

covid19.jpg

6 comments

Comment

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

Well, @Fadoua , the only thing stopping me from getting vaccinated is being in a place where they have ignored, underplayed, mismanaged, and prevaricated over the zombie apocalypse since the beginning. As such, I am behind ~200M others (apparently) before it will be my turn. However I will get it and hope all the other humans get it the moment they can. It is our only hope to quell this to where we might have some realm of normality as we know that there will never be a world without Covid in it now.

I think some of the testing may have been a bit abbreviated but, if nothing else, the bungled rollout of vaccination provided a large scale test while inadvertently being an unintended small scale rollout. The news leaps on any problems and shout it to the winds but, to make a rating, they don't mention the numerically insignificant rates of problems and scare too many humans off.

The other element the sky is falling articles is messing up is over vaccine efficacy. When it came out the upcoming Johnson & Johnson one was "only 70% effective", the part they left out was that, of those that contracted the virus, not one of them required hospitalization regardless of existence of underlying conditions or not. While it would be lovely to stop them all, no vaccine is 100% against infection but a closer to 100% chance of not dying could be construed as a Good Thing. However, because of the noise over one fact without all the other bits that make it meaningful, we have humans that would refuse the J&J vaccine rather than just take the damned thing and start getting us to some normality and stop having a WWII level of life lost in a year to this thing.

All that comes to, the moment I can get poked... i will get poked.

Like Fadoua likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

I actually work for a medical clinic and could have gotten the vaccine by now. However these are the reasons I have not yet gotten it. First I work from home and live in a small city, so I'm not around many people and our COVID numbers are pretty low. So, there is not much chance I will get it. Secondly, I am not of the age or morbidity groups that this virus adversely effects, so I will wait to get it till the senior population has been vaccinated and it is made generally available.

Like Fadoua likes this
Eric Anderson February 15, 2021

Like Davin, I'm not in a rush because my exposure working from home is low.  I'm fine with letting those who face more potential exposure get it before me.  Plus that also is more effective at cutting off the transmission of the virus.  But I'm expecting I'll get it once the supply gets ahead of the urgent demand.  The more who do, the better for everyone.

As Mike indicated, the news jumps on and thrives on the most shocking exceptional cases they can find.  It is in their own interest.  "If it bleeds, it leads."  They excel at trying to stir fear and anxiety, because that works better to bring back their audience with more clicks.

What they may not tell you clearly is how exceptional the negative reactions are (which can happen in rare cases for any medical treatment, including other vaccines).

They also may not be as clear about the fact that this new vaccine technology did not just begin last year.  The companies involved have been researching the new technique for years, long before anyone knew about COVID-19 (cf. 1st article in next comment).

One of the advantages is that it can be easily adapted to new threats.  That's why they were able to quickly apply their research to the new pandemic.  However, that is not when they began working on the technique.  In fact, the cold temperatures needed to store Moderna's vaccine are not nearly as cold because they have been refining how to do the lipid layer coating in ways that help the mRNA last longer at warmer temperatures.

For those who care about ethical concerns, another benefit is that the technique of Moderna and Pfizer+BioNTech of using designed mRNA vaccines is that they are produced without depending on cell lines and so are completely free from using cell lines taken from abortions for design, development or production.  Also, Sanofi/GSK, Novavax, Innovio and Merck do not use cell lines from abortions for design, development or production.  Sadly, however, both AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson/Janssen do use cell lines taken from abortions for such purposes (cf. 2nd article in next comment).

Like Fadoua likes this
Eric Anderson February 17, 2021

"""
How could scientists race out COVID-19 vaccines so fast without cutting corners? A head start helped -- over a decade of behind-the-scenes research that had new vaccine technology poised for a challenge just as the coronavirus erupted.

“The speed is a reflection of years of work that went before,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert, told The Associated Press. “That’s what the public has to understand.”

Creating vaccines and having results from rigorous studies less than a year after the world discovered a never-before-seen disease is incredible, cutting years off normal development. But the two U.S. frontrunners are made in a way that promises speedier development may become the norm -- especially if they prove to work long-term as well as early testing suggests.
"""

Excerpt from:
Years of research laid groundwork for speedy COVID-19 shots
By LAURAN NEERGAARD
Associated Press
December 7, 2020

Concerning details on the status and ethical considerations of all the different COVID-19 vaccines, this article gives some explanations and has a helpful summarizing chart.

What you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccines
David Prentice, Ph.D., Tara Sander Lee, Ph.D.
December 8, 2020.

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2021

Thank you @Eric Anderson ! Not sure why I never got a notification for your post 🤔

Like Eric Anderson likes this
Matteo Gubellini _SoftComply_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2021

I'll be able to book my appointment, finger crossed it won't be too much in the future.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events