who can close an issue

Cristian Calaf April 1, 2013

On my JIRA I hve got two projects, every one with some issue types and a different permission scheme.

I want that one issue type only could be closed by the owner and for the users of one rol, but I also want that another issue type on this same project could be closed for the owner and for the users of another rol.

It is necesary to crreate another permission scheme? how can I resolve this problem.

thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2013

You need different workflows for this.

Issue type 1 needs to have a workflow that has a "condition" on your close transitions like "only the person named in the owner field OR people in role 1"

Issue type 2 needs to have a workflow that has a "condition" on your close transitions like "only the person named in the owner field OR people in role 2"

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow+Schemes and the documents near it (they describe conditions)

Thanks, but I don't wanna create a different issue type depending on who are going to closse the iseue, sometimes will be closed for the informer, and in other times will be closed for the users of a determinated rol.

Does anyone know something about this?

thanks again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2013

That is not what you originally said. You asked how you could have different rules on closing issues based on what the issue type is.

Your question is now: How do I allow/disallow closing an issue based on some rule that I have not told you

We can't help you with that until you tell us what the rule is for closing issues is (as it's no longer "issue type")

Sorry if I didn't explain my doubt properly, I just have some issue types on my project, and some diferent roles, I want that an isue only could be closed by the informer or by the people that belongs to a determinated rol.

for me informer is the person that originally open the issue, I want that some issues could be closed by the creator or the rol (bosses), and another issues could be closed the creator and for the the rol "developers"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2013

But what is the actual rule you want to enforce?

You've told us twice that you want an issue to be closed by the informer (by the way - what is the informer? Do you mean Reporter?) or by a determined role.

I've told you how to do that - add conditions such as "only informer or role X can do this" on the workflow.

What you aren't telling us is the rest of the arbitrary rule that you seem to need. We can't help you unless you define the rule

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2013

I think you are missing the point of my questions. You keep telling us about part of the rule that determines who can close, but not the rest of it. I'll try this by example

Let's say you have two issues. You've said you want this:

Issue XYZ-123 could be closed by the creator or the rol (bosses),

and Issue XYZ-456 another issues could be closed the creator and for the the rol "developers"

Now, again, I ask, what is the rule that decides the difference between the two issues? What rule makes 123 go one way and 456 the other?

the issues are equal, will be cosed for one or another one depends on who have time to resolve the ticket.

I said that are two issue types because I try to resolve my problem aplying a permission scheme but it's affects to all issue type.

sorry, I dont know speak in english properly and it's a little bit difficult for me to explain exactly which I need.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2013

I know, English is a right pain in the neck. I think you're doing fine. My writing was not making my question clear, I think I find it difficult to think outside English, as I'm quite ashamed to admit that I don't have any other languages.

I think that you are stuck though. You really need to have data on an issue that can tell Jira which way it should go. If the issues are equal, then Jira can not see any difference, so it has no way of treating them differently.

You need to add something to enable this. I picked on issue type at first because you mentioned it (and it's simple to set up), but that does not sound right for you now. You'll need to think of another way to tell them apart before we can get much further.

Cristian Calaf April 2, 2013

Ok, thanks

I will try to find a solution.

Suggest an answer