what screens are displayed when I visually design a workflow?

Flavius Nopcea June 21, 2012

Hi,

So I have a workflow that will apply for issues of type A, B, and C

This workflow is used by project PrA.

In project PrA I have an screen schema associated. This schema has 2 screens.

Screen ScrA works for issues of type A and B. Screen ScrB works for issues of type C and D.

Now my question is: when I visually design the workflow and when I set a transition I have the possibility to set a screen. Will both screens be displayed? Is is ok that screen B is displayed if he works for issues of type C and D and my workflow works only for issues of type A B and C?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2012

Workflow screens doesn't look at the screen associated with the issuetype via issue type screen schemes. They are independent and are used only on the transition where they are defined.

In short, it won't break what you are seeing while creating/editing/viewing the issues. It only changes what you see when you click on the purticular workflow transition. I suggest you test it in a test env.

if I have 2 screens for issues of type A, B, C and D and the workflow works for issues of type A B and C in the workflow edit mode when I set the transition screens I shall see both screens? Is this correct?

so basically you say that there is no way to specify a screen for a certain issue type when you transition from what state of an issue to another

In the workflow design you only have the statuses. what is of importance to me is to specify a screen for a transition for a certain issue type. this is what I am trying to do and I do not succeed.

Can you help me?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2012

Err, I didnt say that. I said, you can define a screen in the workflow transition but that doesn't change what you see while creating/editing/viewing the issues. It only changes what you see when you click on the purticular workflow transition!

So you added a screen but it is not coming up in that transition? Are you sure the worklfow is published and active?

hm... is not this an error? let me give you an example. you have a workflow that works for issues of type 'Bug' and a screen that works for issues of type 'new feature'

this way I can set a screen for incorrect data? is this correct? is this the way it should work? I want to set up my environment and I don't want to mess up my data. thanks for helping me!

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2012

When you set a transition screen, you will see all screens in the system.

hm...it is something that I am getting wrong! So if it an admin error what are issue type screen schemas for? what do they help me for?

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2012

Why would you do that? The option to select any screen is there because you might want to share screens across issuetypes/projects. It is up to the person configuring to select the one most appropriate. You should not select the screen with wrong data and if you do that, it is an admin error and not a JIRA bug.

Flavius Nopcea June 23, 2012

you basically say that when I set a transition screen in the workflow design view that screen will be displayed whatever issue type there is. If I want to customize this depending on the issue type so for one issue type I have a transition screen and for another I have another issue screen, how do I do this?

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events