time tracking and burndown charts

Chris Anderson October 29, 2013

We just turned on time tracking, and are looking forward to breaking user stories into smaller subtasks and estimating those in terms of time... As I understand it, when you turn on time tracking you automatically tell JIRA Aglie that you want the burndown chart to work off of time and not story points? Does this mean EVERY story now has to have at least one subtask with a time estimate in order to show up in the burndown? Lastly, once time tracking is on do I need to turn it on somehow for individual boards as well?

1 answer

3 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

As I understand it, when you turn on time tracking you automatically tell JIRA Aglie that you want the burndown chart to work off of time and not story points?

Rahul: In your board you need to explicitly set that you are using remaining time as your tracking statistic otherwise agile will take storypoints as the default tracking statistic.

Does this mean EVERY story now has to have at least one subtask with a time estimate in order to show up in the burndown?

Rahul: Not necessarily, burndown charts do take into account sub-tasks when burning down your remaining time however it is not mandatory to have sub-tasks. If you simply log work against the parent story even then burndown chart will burn down your estimate.

once time tracking is on do I need to turn it on somehow for individual boards as well?

Rahul: No not required. You simply need to enable it on jira and job done.

Rahul

Suggest an answer