tcpdump command on OSX returns syntax error

running the tcptump command example from this article on OSX (Yosemite) returns: syntax error.

1 answer

Turns out I had both wifi and ethernet connection running.  Command worked if I unplugged ethernet and therefore only had one network device.  (I assume I could equally have disabled wifi and used ethernet connection only.)

I had the same experience. New MacBook Pro, I was getting two interfaces coming back from the netstat/grep (en0 and utun0), and I wasn't able to figure out how to disable one and still have internet.

My solution was to replace everything in the `` with en0, and it successfully ran for me.

It appears that the command needs to be updated to allow for multiple interfaces being returned to tcpdump.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 8 hours ago in Featured Groups

Want to know how Atlassians monitor their enterprise deployments?

At Atlassian, we believe in our own products – that's why we use them, even at the enterprise level. Doing so gives us first-hand experience of how they perform at scale; to do this, we monitor each ...

14 views 0 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you