sub-task estimates do not seem to roll-up accurately to issues

Brent Ross August 27, 2012

Hi,

I've just created a bunch of sub-tasks attached to issues in one of my projects, and one of the issues has not 'rolled' up the estimate from sub-tasks like the other issues I've created. Can anyone tell me why?

Also, I'm not clear how the estimate roll-up on many of the issues I've created is 3 Days, when the sub-tasks should total just a matter of hours. Can someone help me understand why this might be happening?

And yes, I'm a new user. :-)

1 answer

0 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2012

Hi Brent,

Are you looking at these unexplained values in GreenHopper (i.e. any screen in the Agile menu) or on the plain old JIRA View Issue screen?

If it's on the JIRA View Issue screen, then you're looking at the raw values. There's a checkbox that lets you choose whether to display just the values for the parent issue, or to include the time from the sub-tasks as well:

If this is ticked but the subtasks' values aren't being included, have a look at the subtasks as they are displayed on the parent issue. They should all have similar time-tracking bars next to them and you can hover over them to see the exact values.

A possible confusion is that there may be very small number of hours in a day configured. E.g. if you have 3 working hours in a day and 6 hours of work estimated, it will display as 2 days. You can check the number of hours per day by typing "g g" (the keyboard shortcut for admin quicksearch) and typing "Time Tracking" from any JIRA page.

If the value is correct when you view it in JIRA but incorrect in GreenHopper, it's most likely because GreenHopper is a lot cleverer - it takes variables into account such as when the time was logged, what sprints the parent/child task are in, whether the estimates were created before or after the sprint was started... and unfortunately I'm not familiar with the logic there.

Suggest an answer