sprints vs. versions

Peter Kobes June 6, 2012

Hi,

In Scrum Rapid board I can nicely define new sprints and manage issues in there but I didn't figured out how are these sprints related to Version/Releases which I manage on the standard Planning board of the GH.

Can you explain how do I connect that a sprint is part of a release?

thnaks

Peter Kobes

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

It is after a lot of review and feedback that now the versions and sprints are decoupled in GreenHopper. As issues gets completed in Sprints, it has to be attached to fixversions of the appropriate projects (since one board can have issues from multiple projects). This is also explained in this article - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Ending+a+Sprint (The green box at the end of the article)

Leo Nishanth Anthony February 13, 2018

Hello Renjith Pillai,

Is there an option to couple the same from our end as admin with any configuration without coding change. 

we use JIRA v7.2.8.

BR
Leo

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2018

This is a six year old post and things have changed a bit.  You might want to start a new question thread for a more up-to-date conversation.

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Peter Kobes January 10, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for answers

Currently we have for each project both (SCRUM and Kanban) boards.

We use scrum on daily bases and once we press finalize sprint on the scrum board we also open Kanban and press the release link and create a version - because they show the same stuff so all closed issues wchich were completed are also marked with the fixed version.

It works also fine for multiple projects (on one board) if the boards show the same stuff (release numbering projects is the same in our case)

It is not the nicest way but a simple and quick way to achieve what we need and it works like charm !

It is similar to what Jeison pointed me to but done on classic boards. However I asked Atlassian and they said that this classic can be dropped any time in the future (and from the way how they do software updates it might be gone next Monday :-) so we wanted to avoid all the old stuff.

Having two boards is for us also handy because our projects are for few months in SCRUM mode than for few months we just do the Kanban style maintenance so we can freely switch.

It is also a single click for projects consisting of multiple JIRA projects

The only think is that Board list window should have some filtering because we have like 100 boards there and it is quite clumsy to find a specific project there.

Peter

0 votes
John Burns
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2012

There is no relationship between the two. They are managed independently. I believe the GH team is working on some functionality that will help plan releases in the future though.

0 votes
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2012

Hi Peter,

The documentation here might be helpful in this case.

Hope it helps!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question