running total with eazybi

Peter Hart May 27, 2015

i have data in a mysql db that consists of a count of objects created in an application every week over the past few years, a date associated with the week in which the objects were created, object type, and location where it was created.  i want to create a timeline chart with a running total of each object type across all locations.  i can only configure the chart to provide a total of each object type across all locations per month.  that is, the timeline goes up and down depending how many objects were created in a given month.  i cannot get it to keep a running total.  i suspect i should be using the sum or aggregate functions in a calculated member, but i cannot seem to get that to work either.  any advice?  thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Raimonds Simanovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2015

The most effective way is to use eazyBI specific PreviousPeriods function (in JIRA Cloud or starting from the upcoming eazyBI plugin version 3.2). You can create a calculated measure with a formula

Sum(
  { PreviousPeriods([Time].CurrentHierarchyMember),
    [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember },
  [Measures].[objects created]
)

PreviousPeriods will return an optimized set of previous periods for aggregation. E.g. for Time dimension Week level member it will return a set of years from the first one until the previous year and then a set of weeks in the current year from the first week until the previous week. And then you add to this set also current Time dimension member and calculate a sum of "objects created" (replace with your own measure).

If you use eazyBI plugin before version 3.2 where PreviousPeriods function is not yet available, then you can use the formula:

Sum(
  [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember.Level.Members.Item(0):
  [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember,
  [Measures].[objects created]
)

which will calculate the sum over set of all weeks from the very first week until the current week.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events