"Select List (cascading): Choose multiple values from two select lists" - Not very multiple?

Graham Wright March 25, 2014

Hi there,

Having defined a "Select List (cascading)" custom field, it took me some time to work out the best way to import a large amount of data to these fields (soltuion: Script Runner). Happy with the import, I was surprised to find that the it is only possible to select one (pair) value.

The custom field's description is "Choose multiple values from two select lists", so I don't think it was unreasonable to expect that it behave in a similar manner to "Select List (multiple choice)", which has the description "Choose multiple values in a select list".

I was lead to believe that it would be possible to re-use the paired-select lists multiple times on a given issue, selecting and removing options (or rather option pairs)

E.g. Favourite Soccer Teams:
[Leagues][v] > [Teams][v]
Selected:
- English Premier League > Arsenal (x)
- English Premier League > Liverpool (x)
- Spanish La Liga > Real Madrid (x)

The user experience when viewing and removing could, for instance, have been similar to the 'Labels' custom field.

If this field is not capable of what the description lead me to believe, JIRA should alter the field's description to make it clearer.

Is there a way I can achieve what I wanted to?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2014

Hmm, that is a bit vague. The wording is "Choose multiple values using two select lists", which is as clear as mud. It should, in my opinion, be separated into two clear parts with a "from". Something like "Choose a value from a pair of linked select lists" (my prose isn't great, but I'm pretty sure that's a lot better than the existing phrase)

I'd raise this as a feature request over at jira.atlassian.com/jra

As for how you'd implement this, I'm afraid there's nothing out there that does it at the moment.

0 votes
Graham Wright March 31, 2014

Thanks Nic,

I have raised a feature request.

Suggest an answer