"Is blocked by" vs "blocks" Issue Links status for sub-task

Somsak Assawakulpaibool August 4, 2017

I create a task (called Task1) and a sub-task (called Task2). Somehow the Issue Links of Task1 shows

blocks Task2

and the Issue Links of Task 2 shows

is blocked by Task1

Should the Task2 (which is a sub-task of Task1) be a blocker of Task1? Therefore, should the Link Issues indicated Task 1 is blocked by Task2 vice versa?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

Yes, that is correct.  JIRA links are directional, they are trying to tell you which way round it is.

From what you're seeing, whoever added the link between the two issues set it up in the wrong direction.  I'd generally say a sub-task would block a parent. 

But, personally, I would never link a sub-task to its parent - the implication is automatic that a sub-task should stop a parent from being closed, because it's part of the parent.

The linking is automatically created by Jira when I created sub-task Task2.  

Anyone seen this issue? I am using Jira-7.4.2. I have never seen this issue in prior versions.

Like Manuela Navarro Cano likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

JIRA doesn't do this automatically, your users are doing it, probably accidentally.

I suspect there's a "link" field on the sub-task create screen, and they're using it, and picking the wrong link type.

No one manually setting the link. I am only one admin/user for this new Jira instance I just setup.

Which version are you using or testing? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2017

I'm on 7.4.2.

If it's not being set by a user, then you have a post-function or listener doing it.  You'll need to correct or remove that.

Vineeth March 7, 2019

Somsak Assawakulpaibool, I think I understand what you are saying i.e,The default selection in Jira when you click on the 'Link' button for blocking is 'is blocked by'. I think you need to change that to 'Blocks' in cases of sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer