Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

production and lab enviroment problem

David Ramirez March 14, 2014

Good day, I clone the production Confluence environment in a new VM, made a copy of the SQL db, set new username and password for the db, modified configuration file on the test vm to point to the new SQL db, updated all install plugins and the production SQL db got affected by the changes I made.

Why this happend?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2014

David,

I would bet that you likely didn't save your configuration file or modified the wrong one. What file did you change? All of the database configuration is held on the file system and would not have been changed when you turned your system on.

Also, it is genrally best pratices to not allow routing between a dev/test and production environment. We run our staging and prod environments out of seperate corporate datacenters not only to silo our environments, but to provide for limited DR.

You can achieve the same affect on a smaller scale by reserving IP ranges or entire subnets for your dev and prod environments and ensuring one cannot route the the other.

More likely than all of that is that your server base URL is misconfigured and when you were accessing your dev/test instnace you were surreptitiously redirected to production and you made all of your changes on the production box without realiizing it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+the+Server+Base+URL

In this case it is a good idea to have dev/test systems run alternative style sheets than your prod systems. Our Staging systems run with a red border rather than the blue border on most Confluence Installations.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events