migrate from OnDemand to Hosted

DantHimself July 17, 2012

I currently have Jira and Confluence OnDemand and after evaluating and using both for a few months I am ready to move to a hosted instance.

What I want to know is if there is a single installer for both systems or I need to run the Jira installer then the Confluence Installer.

The hosted instance OS will be Windows and the database SQL Server, both Jira and Confluence will be on the same machine as our workload is very light

Does the look and fill of the hosted instance is the same as of the OnDemand instance?

What is the correct procedure for migrating from OnDemand to Hosted, on the wiki I could only find the inverse.

What licensing changes incur? Do I have to cancel my OnDemand and purchase the hosted license or is there an upgrade path?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

By "hosted", I assume you mean that you will be installing it on your own hardware?

Anyway:

No, there are separate installers for Jira and Confluence - they are technically separate and independent pieces of software

You can run them both on the same server, but make sure they've both got adequate resources. They need more as your usage rises, and as a very very very general rule, the more memory you can give them, the better. It is VERY subjective though, so for better and less vague advice, tell us what CPU and memory you have available on the server(s), what you're thinking of allocating, and how many users you have/expect.

Look and feel is almost the same - off the top of my head, you'll have more options in the administration side, but that's about it, assuming you set up themes, schemes and colours as you did in OnDemand.

Process is to get an export from OnDemand, set up empty systems on your machines and then import the data from the export.

I understand licensing is separated. You'll defintely need to buy full licenses for your new systems. I'd then cancel your OnDemand accounts, but I don't know if there's a refund available, or if there's a migration path. Contact sales at atlassian dot com to find out.

Another question, can I use the Jira Backup manager to export my data or do I need Atlassian for this?

Thanks for the answer Nic.

user count is < 10

hardware is more than adequate, a quad core i7 920 with 12 GB ram, not virtualized, thats for jira confluence and the database.

I did contact sales and this question was created here per their sugestion

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

Sounds like the hardware will be fine, with only 10 users. <10 users means a $10 license.

I'm not sure about export - OnDemand used to need a support request for an export, but I think I've seen an update that lets you tirgger the backup and then fetch the file yourself.

1 vote
NikE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2012

The JIRA exporter is now included in OnDemand:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Exporting+issues

For Confluence, you can either use space exports, which you can take yourself, or you can enter in a support request for a full Confluence backup (if you are reading this a few weeks after this was posted, the backup process will be the same for Confluence as the JIRA process above).

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2012

As far as I know, for the export from the On Demand version you need to do a request on support.atlassian.com but only for the export. Once they give you the file you can do the import by yourself once you have both applications installed.

Suggest an answer