issue creation by mail broken

Christian Juny March 16, 2014

Setup: mail-profile for incoming mails. matches against addressee to get the project, like jira_request.PROJECT@domain.com

All the sudden this stopped working, resulting in rejections with the following hints:

<th>Hint #{0}:</th><th>Provided Value</th><th>Valid Values</th><th>Message</th>
1 n/a n/a <th>Detail</th>
Unable to process issue, the exising configuration does not allow this issue to be created, detail: No issueType could be determined for the new issue, check defaults.
<th>Cause</th> <th>Caused By</th> <th>Caused rejection</th>
com.javahollic.jira.emh.engine.FieldProcessorMapHandler.getIssueObject():97

class : com.javahollic.jira.emh.engine.InsufficientInformationException

No issueType could be determined for the new issue, check defaults.

Yes

The following values were provided, check validity:project: FOUND (BF), reporter: FOUND (cju), issueType: FOUND (Projektleitung), summary: FOUND (null),

4 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Please always check for updates, when bugs are found, they are fixed as fast as possible and new releases made. There was a bug located yesterday in 1.5.47 which was fixed in 1.5.48, released yesterday.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2014

Your mail handler has been configured to create a certain type of issue in a certain project (when it can't match the incoming email to an existing issue)

However, you've configured that project to NOT have that type of issue in it. So the mail handler cannot create the right issue type. So it dies.

But the project has the issue type in question. I can create those just fine in Jira, but not via mail. And your answer does not explain why it says there is no summary, which would seem to be the problem for the mail handler here, is it not?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2014

JEMH is telling you that the issue type you have configured it for cannot be created in the project.

You need to check both ends as well - it might be that JEMH is configured to create type X, but you've got type Y in the project with a similar-but-not-the-same name/id.

The summary doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, and you haven't menteioned "no summary" in your question, so I didn't know you wanted me to talk about that (even though it's irrelevant because the problem is with the issue type)

I see that it is telling me that, I just don't get why. :D

We have only one issue type with that name mapped as default for this jemh-profile. Hint 2 names it "FOUND (Projektleitung)". So I'd tend to rule out the suggested X-Y-missmatch.

What am I missing? What would be the other end, since you suggested checking "both ends"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2014

Not quite. JEMH is telling you that you have configured JEMH to create issues of type Projecktleitung. The error message is telling you that you have not configured the project to include that type. It might be a rename of the issue type or explicit removal from the scheme, I'm not sure. But JEMH can't create issues of that type in the project.

Sorry about "both ends", that was very unclear of me. I'm thinking that one end is the Jira project, and the other is the JEMH configuration. They need to match, or things will fail like they seem to be here.

As you will see in the hereby added image, the issue-type-sheme has the issue type Projektleitung and this sheme is associated with the project for which I wantwo create it. As mentioned before, it works just fine from JIRA-GUI, only the creation via mail is causing problems. :/

EDIT: somehow I can't see the added image, so I suppose you won't either. So just as further description: issue type sheme Kundenprojekte has issue type Projektleitung and is associated with project BF - which is the project JEMH is trying to address, is it not?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2014

The only thing that I can see being a problem here really is that the issue type JEMH has is not valid for the project. A duff summary, project or reporter would give you another error.

Can you check the full list of issue types and check that you definitely have only one that is even vaguely like "Projektleitung"?

Also, could you try editing the JEMH handler - change the issue type to another one in that project, send it an email and then put it back the way you found it?

Really strange... but step by step:

• only one issue type name Projektleitung [check]
  • issue type available in project [check]

What seemed to have fixed the problem: change default issue type, change again to Projektleitung. For now it is working, but my confidence with JEMH is rather shaken :/

0 votes

so why does the issue creation fail all the sudden?

0 votes

I have to add, that the mail containsw a summary.

Original Email:

<th>Subject:</th> <th>Sent Date:</th>
mail test

2014-03-17 14:30:01,000

Suggest an answer