how to have dependency between stories ?

Kasa s March 4, 2014

how to have dependency between stories ?

I tried linking the stories, but need to have option of dependency so i can see which story need to be completed before we start other.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014

i can see which story need to be completed before we start other.

The Links Hierarchy add-on displays the full hierarchy of Stories on a nice interactive tree, so you can expand and collapse children issues and sub-tasks.

Each issue/sub-task shows an icon with the Sprint status (,,), so you can visually inspect what belongs to Sprints not yet closed:

• no sprint -empty icon-,
  • future and
  • active .

Once all the children issues and sub-tasks show the sprint completedicon, you know all the Story has been fulle completed. Moreover, you can also hide all the Resolved issues automatically and then see what is still pending under the Story.

By using those both features you can easily track the full Story hierarchy state.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014

Commercial, but not too much expensive, I would say.

Kasa s March 4, 2014

Is it a free add-on or i need to pay for it.

Kasa s March 4, 2014

thanks.

Do you know any other add-on which is free.

Kasa s March 19, 2014

Got Link Hierarchy add on.

Thanks

4 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2014

You can make use of issue linking. Once you link the issues, you can find it on the issue details.

You can also search based on the links either using standard JIRA query to get issues linked to a given issue key or using add ons like JQL Tricks plugin to display all issues with a certain link type.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2014

I understand that point because I have heard it before. You will have to write a custom workflow condition to prevent closing of issues based on the status of linked issues.

Kasa s March 4, 2014

i tried link option but i am able to close the story which is still dependent on the story which is open.

I want it to be able to block the story from closing before the blocker is closed. so true dependency is required.

Thanks for your earlier reply

Omar Chin-Keow June 1, 2018

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist] Does that mean that 'dependencies' in the conventional project management sense, e.g. Task A must be compelte before Task B can be started, is not possible in Jira.

Hence, your suggestion of using custom workflow's is the advised work-around?

Ty,

O.

Like Donna Martira likes this
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

That's correct.

Omar Chin-Keow June 4, 2018

Bummer.

Thanks for confirming.

Suggest an answer