how to get list of JIRA users of project?

gagan m s June 12, 2017

Hello Everyone,

can some help me to get user details using a query.

i need    All Users of ABC Project their  USERNAME, Name, Email, Role, Last Session Date

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2017

Hi Gagan

Please refer the below document. 

1. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-get-a-list-of-users-assigned-to-project-roles-for-your-project-705954232.html

This works in JIRA 6+. 

Thanks, Vishnu. 

gagan m s June 13, 2017

wow... thank you..i was struggling so much for this.

Like Andrew.Mapp likes this
Charan goud July 9, 2019

Hi Vishnukumar,

How can we get the users list from project-wise in the Jira cloud?

Like # people like this
abhishek_sharma03
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2020

Any idea on how can we get such a list for Jira cloud instance.

Like # people like this
Charan goud March 11, 2021

Hi Abhishek,

Method 1:

• We can get it by using REST API and it will give inthe JSON format. Copy the whole JSON content from the page and convert it into an Excel sheet using online convert JSON to Excel.

Type the REST API in the URL of your browser.

• DOMAIN, i.e.: mycompany
    https://DOMAIN.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/project

Method 2:

• Go to admin-->Projects-->list out all the projects on multiple pages
  • Copy the projects from each page and past them in excel.

Please let me know if you need more clarification on this.

abhishek_sharma03
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2021

We are unable to see the user list by this API

Charan goud March 11, 2021

Sorry, I missed the summary of this issue. I have given for the list out all projects.

We cant get it in the cloud instance.

Katrin Vaskes March 11, 2022

Is the API now available for the cloud site? I can't seem to find any. It would be REALLY useful to have this.

Like # people like this
Vera June 7, 2022

We require a list of users per project for auditing purposes. It's bewildering that this still isn't available.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

It's not been done because there are too many ways you might mean "user per project" and the routes into it are not easy layers - there is no clear definition of "person X is in a project", and the "in" varies by person. 

You also have a problem with "audit" - first, the list is likely to be way too long to be of any use in an audit - is your auditor really going to compare a list of every user of every project with a list of every user that should have access to a project (that you'd have to prepare outside Jira, which in itself becomes another massive piece of work to generate)?

Looking at a small Jira I've got access to, I can't get a single list of people "in" a project.  My permission schemes all use project roles or dynamic roles, so I'd have to read and understand those, then go look at the roles (which means going into the issues themselves, and reading the project roles).  I've used groups in roles as well, which means to identify individuals, I'd have to read the groups for members.

And then there's "in".  What does "in a project" mean to you?  For some places, it means "anyone who can see the project" (in my example, that's easy - everyone who can log in can see all the projects, so everyone is "in" every project).  But other people only count people who can comment, or even just be assigned issues, or agents, or can create issues or combinations of groups.

Like Damien Davis likes this
Vera June 7, 2022

While I agree with your general assessment, my security team is attempting to perform exactly this due to strict compliance requirements.

is your auditor really going to compare a list of every user of every project with a list of every user that should have access to a project (that you'd have to prepare outside Jira, which in itself becomes another massive piece of work to generate)?

I will grab the information they require via API using the type of permission and project. Thanks.

Like Damien Davis likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

Ugh, your poor auditor, and the people who have to create the reports for them to compare.  It must be quite frustrating when they realise their report can be out of date within minutes.

The strict compliance rules I've run into require understanding of access, not obsolete lists of people.