how to enable/disable votes in database ?

William JUTEAU December 25, 2013

I use the voting option to flag some issues, directly in database with an ETL.

I was pretty sure to find this entry in PROPERTYENTRY table, PROPERTY_KEY=jira.option.voting with PROPERTYTYPE = 0 or 1.

However when I change the option through th eadministratino interface, it doesn't change the value in database.

I probably miss a thing in here ... so where is this parameter in database ?

Thanks in advance for your help

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 25, 2013

Hi William

You may refer to the following documentation which has list out all the entire JIRA database schema:

After that try to look/find/search for Watches and Votes, from there you can see the information which explain which table is storing the voting value for users in JIRA.

PROPERTYENTRY wasn't the right table, PROPERTYNUMBER is, thank you Daryl

I found this enabling the sgllog to check which table was updated on my action through GUI.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2013

>I use the voting option to flag some issues, directly in database with an ETL.

You must stop doing this immediately. Jira can not handle updates to its data made by other systems, and it's quite likely that the reason the options don't change when you use the UI is that your ETL has broken Jira.

If you need to update Jira's database, either go through the API, or, if you insist on direct access, you must have Jira shut down while you run the SQL, and in most cases, re-index it after restarting it.

The risk is just the difference between jira cache/index and the value of the vote on the ticket. Not a big deal, bu tI understand what you mean.

Using API is too complex for my knowledge on webservice through ETL. A bad consequence of your method for me is that issue is updated, but I just want a flag, not a customfield setting.

Thanks for your advice Nic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2013

Ah, you misunderstand, you might think the risk is limited to the data you are changing and you might think the damage is limited to the index, but it's not. Direct edits of a database have been shown to take out the Jira installation completely, corrupting data completely unrelated to the change.

Do not edit your database while Jira is running, you could lose all of it.

Do not use your ETL while Jira is running

I can't tell you this enoug times. Stop.

Suggest an answer