how to add a new project in the cross project release plan

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Creating project-specific releases

I have a new project added in my portfolio and I would like to sync it with an existing cross project releases with the rest of my portfolio projects. How I do this?

3 answers

Hi Dejan,

If I understand your question correctly, you've just added a new project to your plan and you want to add an existing cross-project release to that project. This is not possible as it is not how cross-project releases work.

Think of Cross-project releases as collections of releases that only exist within a plan. Thus, it's not possible to add a cross-project release to project; it's a one-way street. But you can a create a release in that project and add it to the cross-project release.

In your case, to achieve the desired effect you will need to create a new release in the freshly added project and add that to the desired cross-project release in your plan.

You can find out how to manage your cross-project releases on this page, 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/creating-and-configuring-cross-project-releases-828785313.html

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Allard 

Hi Allard and thank you for your prompt response.

So, I was not clear. I have several CPR’s in my Portfolio and recently I have added a new project in my Portfolio. This new project didn’t have any releases defined and I wanted to add existing Portfolio CPR releases to this new project, so that we inline respective deliverables. I cannot find any relevant info on how to do this.

Thx,

Dejan

Hi Dejan...did you figure out how to do so? I am trying to accomplish the exact same thing as you describe.

Thanks

Hey guys I'm trying to do the same thing either. Someone have the solution ? 

Hi all,

I, too, am attempting the same thing. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Hi all, 

Think of Cross-project releases as collections of releases. They only exist within a plan.

Thus, it's not possible to add a cross-project release to a project; it's a one-way street. But you can a create a release in that project and add it to the cross-project release. 

I've update my above answer to reflect this. Hope this helps. 

Cheers
Allard

Allard,

I too have added a new project to a plan. I want the new project to be included in the cross-project releases that already exist in the plan.

One of the reasons we're evaluating Portfolio is to use cross-releases to syncronise releases in the plan across projects in Jira. We have many projects and it's more managable to add them to a plan one-by-one rather than all at once. This restriction blocks this more managed approach to building a plan.

Hi Aaron, what is your exact question? Does the above answer and corresponding doc link not solve your usecase? If it is a different issue please file a new question, thanks!

My case was the same as the original post, and your answer is Portfolio can't do that. The link confirms that, so it does not solve my use case.

As it stands Portfolio can not bring new projects into a plan and use existing cross-project releases to synchronise their schedules.

So, the answer is not to create a new issue, but to suggest a change: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOCLOUD-1927

This is not an answer but the reply button appears to be non-functional in my browser, so I'll try posting as an answer:

Hi all,

I, too, am attempting the same thing. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Indeed in the URL above Allard posted you can find the way how to do this, add a new project to existing CPR.

However, Portfolio for Jira didn’t work for me and finally after many months of trying to work with it, we gave up. Simply, the way it has been implemented and its philosophy is not what could be really useful (even thou, it looks like this). Last but not least, it has lot of problems.

Instead of Portfolio, try to utilize Epics. I believe you can achieve what you need and sync across different projects.

I suspect we are in a cenario like yours, Dejan, Portfolio may simply not work for actually managing the priority and project and story changes we have that fall within a known set of releases.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

132 views 6 8
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you