git-svn: ERROR: Unable to determine version

Trivinh Van April 22, 2013

Hi,

Following the migration doc http://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/Migrating+from+Subversion+to+Git+on+Bitbucket,

we are unable to verify the git-svn message when one runs java -jar svn-migatrion-scripts.jar verify.

The output is

svn-migration-scripts: using version 0.1.1cda438

Git: using version 1.8.1.msysgit.1

Subversion: using version 1.7.9

usage: git init [-g | --quiet] [--bare] [--template=<template-directory>] [--shared[=permissions>] [directory]

git-svn:ERROR: Unable to determine version.

Thanks,

Tri

3 answers

1 vote
luisperezphd October 14, 2013

I'm having the same problem.

0 votes
Alan Holden August 23, 2019

Years later... apparently the same problem on Windows 10?

I'm following this guide: https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/migrating-prepare

Installed Git 2.23.0, set path environmental variables

run this from cmd as administrator:

SET LANG=C
java -jar svn-migration-scripts.jar verify

OUTPUT:

svn-migration-scripts: using version 0.1.56bbc7f
Git: using version 2.23.0.windows.1
Subversion: using version 1.9.5
usage: git init [-q | --quiet] [--bare] [--template=<template-directory>] [--shared[=<permissions>]] [<directory>]
git-svn: ERROR: Unable to determine version.

It's like git-svn is not there, but "the Internet" seems to swear that it was installed the same time as Git, and there is no separate Windows installer to be (easily) found. The link in the tutorial just goes to a doc page.

So I'm at a standstill, and our SVN server is going to be shut down in 7 days. No pressure or anything...

Alan Holden August 26, 2019

I can see there's a git-svn file here:
C:\Program Files\Git\mingw64\libexec\git-core

I've added this location to the system path variable, but nothing changes.

Mark Gaudlip April 21, 2020

Has anyone found out the issue to this?  I'm hitting now as well.... UGH!

Mark Gaudlip April 21, 2020

Seems like my potential issue was not having subversion-perl

yum install subversion-perl

Alan Holden April 21, 2020

As I recall, my solution was to install a trial of SmartGit and use their nice migration tools from my desktop instead.

The error messages I got from this script seemed to be too general or "catch-all" in nature. Lazy code, inside code for coders. Dang whippersnappers.

0 votes
Duarte Molha November 10, 2014

no answers?!

John Y July 25, 2018

I am having the same git-svn problem on Sierra and sounds like there is no much answer to this problem

svn-migration-scripts: using version 0.1.56bbc7f
Git: using version 2.18.0
Subversion: using version 1.9.7
Can't locate SVN/Core.pm in @INC (you may need to install the SVN::Core module) (@INC contains: /usr/local/git/share/perl5 /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /usr/local/git/share/perl5/Git/SVN/Utils.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/git/share/perl5/Git/SVN/Utils.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/git/share/perl5/Git/SVN.pm line 25.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/git/share/perl5/Git/SVN.pm line 32.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 22.
git-svn: ERROR: Unable to determine version.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events