Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fisheye error :java.servletException -java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:GC overhead limit exceeded

fabby December 12, 2012

i install fisheye 2.7.12 on ubuntu.

i add a git repository,and it is indexing.then error comes:

Repository index failed due to error com.cenqua.fisheye.rep.RepositoryClientException: com.atlassian.fisheye.dvcs.handler.DvcsProcessException: Error while communicating with VCS: com.atlassian.fisheye.dvcs.handler.DvcsProcessException: Error while communicating with VCS: com.atlassian.utils.process.ProcessException: While executing: /usr/bin/git whatchanged --always --reverse --date-order -m --no-abbrev --no-renames 6c24ad4e9ddae2a39f032c20b2181b045bb5b322 --pretty=format:C:%H%nP:%P%nA:%aN%nE:%aE%nR:%cN%nF:%cE%nD:%at%nS:%s%nB:%b%n@@fe_body_end@@  com.atlassian.utils.process.ProcessTimeoutException: process timed out

the command line terminal shows error message:

fisheye your request was unable to be processed,java.servletException -java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:GC overhead limit exceeded

i searched resolutions from atlassian confluence,and it says:

If necessary, this feature can be disabled by adding the option -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit to the command line.

does it mean i shall start fisheye by run ". run.sh -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit" ?

or is there any other better resolutions?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012
fabby December 16, 2012

thanks all of you,

i can increase heap memory by setting environment variable under windows xp( not run FishEye as a Windows service) successfully.

but in linux,i try vi '~/.profile' and 'vi /etc/profile' and add 'export FISHEYE_OPTS=-Xmx2048m' to those files end line.and restart fisheye by run './run.sh', but the fisheye's JVM Input Arguments still be default:

JVM Input Arguments-Xmx1024m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dfisheye.library.path= -Dfisheye.inst=/home/crucible/fecru-2.7.12 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/crucible/fecru-2.7.12/lib/endorsed
Total Memory1G
Free Memory88M

Memory Usage is neary full,and after a while,fisheye will be very slow,and even crash.

fabby December 17, 2012

i have fix it ,'vi /etc/profile' add 'export FISHEYE_OPTS=-Xmx2048m' on its own line at the end of the file,and then source /etc/profile ,echo $FISHEYE_OPTS to checkout if you have set environment variable correctly.finally './run.sh'

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

Hi Fabby,

What it is saying is that you need to add the argument XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit to FishEye's startup options as described in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Environment+variables

I believe that adding a more effective GC algorithm should help improve the situation for you, but the other option, (which you should implement as well), would be to increase the Heap Memory, (by 256MB), which you can see how to do by following the instructions in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHKB/Fix+Out+of+Memory+errors+by+increasing+available+memory#FixOutofMemoryerrorsbyincreasingavailablememory-OutOfMemoryError:JavaHeapSpace

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events