config mail server

jimoyong May 22, 2017
I installed confluence 6.1 Evaluation version on http. Then I wanna use it to send email to my company mail server. here is the config: host name: my company mail server host port :587 username and password is the correct one. when I use TLS to send a test mail, I got the error below: An error has occurred with sending the test email: com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not convert socket to TLS; nested exception is: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:120) at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.send(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:79) at com.atlassian.confluence.admin.actions.mail.SendTestEmailAction.execute(SendTestEmailAction.java:57) at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:168) at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:35) ... 363 more Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192) at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1949) at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:302) at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:296) at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1509) at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:216) at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:979) at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:914) at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1062) at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1375) at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1403) at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1387) at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.configureSSLSocket(SocketFetcher.java:548) at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.startTLS(SocketFetcher.java:485) at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.startTLS(SMTPTransport.java:1913) ... 368 more Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:387) at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:292) at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:260) at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:324) at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:229) at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:124) at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1491) ... 378 more Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141) at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:126) at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:280) at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:382) ... 384 more While when I didn't use TLS, I got the error below: An error has occurred with sending the test email: com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.doSendWithMessageIdSupport(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:120) at com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.JmxSMTPMailServer.send(JmxSMTPMailServer.java:79) at com.atlassian.confluence.admin.actions.mail.SendTestEmailAction.execute(SendTestEmailAction.java:57) at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:168) at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:35) at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165) ....... Please tell me what's wrong with my condition. Thank you!

2 answers

0 votes
Kate_Ngo May 15, 2020

I have the same problem with Bitbucket. Looking for a solution

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2017

Your server does not have the certificates it needs to allow a secure connection to your mail server.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/connecting-to-ssl-services-117455.html

jimoyong May 23, 2017

Thank you for your reply, the url you gave me is about jira, while mine is confluence. I tried the cmd line below(mine is ubuntu 14), but it doesn't work.

And in my case above, when i didn't use TLS, it shows me "550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender" do you know what this means? thank you

CloudThingSupport April 5, 2018

Same issue here (Ubuntu 12). Did anyone find and a workaround to this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events