cannot access JIRA page after upgrade from 5.1.7 to version 5.2

Rich Goss November 26, 2012

After upgrading version 5.1.7 to 5.2 I cannot access our JIRA website. I receive the error message below. I was able to login to the page as user: jiraadmin to run a backup prior to the upgrade.

HTTP Status 500 - com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'.)

type Exception report

message com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'.)

description The server encountered an internal error (com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'.)) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'.)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:152)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:115)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(ResettableLazyReference.java:89)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.PropertiesManager.getPropertySet(PropertiesManager.java:27)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesStore.getStringsWithPrefixFromDb(ApplicationPropertiesStore.java:338)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getStringsWithPrefix(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:194)

com.atlassian.jira.plugin.JiraPluginPersistentStateStore.reloadKeys(JiraPluginPersistentStateStore.java:41)

com.atlassian.jira.plugin.JiraPluginPersistentStateStore.<init>(JiraPluginPersistentStateStore.java:30)

sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)

sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)

java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)

org.picocontainer.defaults.InstantiatingComponentAdapter.newInstance(InstantiatingComponentAdapter.java:100)

org.picocontainer.defaults.ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.instantiateComponent(ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.java:200)

org.picocontainer.defaults.InstantiatingComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(InstantiatingComponentAdapter.java:48)

org.picocontainer.defaults.DecoratingComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(DecoratingComponentAdapter.java:42)

org.picocontainer.defaults.SynchronizedComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(SynchronizedComponentAdapter.java:35)

org.picocontainer.defaults.DecoratingComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(DecoratingComponentAdapter.java:42)

com.atlassian.jira.config.component.ProfilingComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(ProfilingComponentAdapter.java:45)

org.picocontainer.defaults.ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.getConstructorArguments(ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.java:222)

org.picocontainer.defaults.ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.instantiateComponent(ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.java:198)

org.picocontainer.defaults.InstantiatingComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(InstantiatingComponentAdapter.java:48)

org.picocontainer.defaults.SynchronizedComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(SynchronizedComponentAdapter.java:35)

com.atlassian.jira.config.component.ProfilingComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(ProfilingComponentAdapter.java:45)

com.atlassian.jira.DelegateComponentAdapter.getComponentInstance(DelegateComponentAdapter.java:50)

org.picocontainer.defaults.ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.getConstructorArguments(ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.java:222)

org.picocontainer.defaults.ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.instantiateComponent(ConstructorInjectionComponentAdapter.java:198)

org.picocontainer.defaults.DefaultPicoContainer.getComponentInstance(DefaultPicoContainer.java:298)

com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.getComponent(ComponentManager.java:546)

com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webwork.WebworkPluginSecurityService.getRequiredRoles(WebworkPluginSecurityService.java:46)

com.atlassian.seraph.filter.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:118)

com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.filter.TrustedApplicationsFilter.doFilter(TrustedApplicationsFilter.java:98)

com.atlassian.seraph.filter.BaseLoginFilter.doFilter(BaseLoginFilter.java:169)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraLoginFilter.doFilter(JiraLoginFilter.java:70)

com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:71)

com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63)

com.atlassian.util.profiling.filters.ProfilingFilter.doFilter(ProfilingFilter.java:99)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JIRAProfilingFilter.doFilter(JIRAProfilingFilter.java:19)

com.atlassian.johnson.filters.AbstractJohnsonFilter.doFilter(AbstractJohnsonFilter.java:71)

org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter.doFilter(UrlRewriteFilter.java:738)

com.atlassian.gzipfilter.GzipFilter.doFilterInternal(GzipFilter.java:80)

com.atlassian.gzipfilter.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:51)

com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:71)

com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:78)

com.atlassian.core.filters.cache.AbstractCachingFilter.doFilter(AbstractCachingFilter.java:33)

com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)

com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:41)

com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.PathMatchingEncodingFilter.doFilter(PathMatchingEncodingFilter.java:49)

com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupChecklistFilter.doFilter(JiraStartupChecklistFilter.java:74)

com.atlassian.multitenant.servlet.MultiTenantServletFilter.doFilter(MultiTenantServletFilter.java:91)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:78)

root cause

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'.)

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.ofbiz.OFBizPropertySet.getKeys(OFBizPropertySet.java:95)

com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.PropertySetCache.bulkLoad(PropertySetCache.java:313)

com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.JiraCachingPropertySet.init(JiraCachingPropertySet.java:789)

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertySetManager.getInstance(PropertySetManager.java:58)

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertySetManager.getInstance(PropertySetManager.java:31)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.PropertySetUtils.createDatabaseBackedPropertySet(PropertySetUtils.java:34)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.DbBackedPropertiesManager$1.create(DbBackedPropertiesManager.java:24)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.DbBackedPropertiesManager$1.create(DbBackedPropertiesManager.java:20)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference$InternalReference.create(ResettableLazyReference.java:143)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:326)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:146)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:115)

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(ResettableLazyReference.java:89)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.PropertiesManager.getPropertySet(PropertiesManager.java:27)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesStore.getStringFromDb(ApplicationPropertiesStore.java:268)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getString(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:50)

com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getEncoding(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:133)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraEncodingFilter.getEncoding(JiraEncodingFilter.java:21)

com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:38)

com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.PathMatchingEncodingFilter.doFilter(PathMatchingEncodingFilter.java:49)

com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupChecklistFilter.doFilter(JiraStartupChecklistFilter.java:74)

com.atlassian.multitenant.servlet.MultiTenantServletFilter.doFilter(MultiTenantServletFilter.java:91)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.29 logs.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.29

3 answers

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

The error is that JIRA cannot contact the database. either its down or the password is incorrect? check you can ping the host (to know its alive), telnet to the database server port (to know the database its contactable) login with the credentials in the JIRA_HOME/dbconfig.xml file. Something there should show you the cause and allow you to resolve the problem.

jiraguy November 27, 2012

I also have this error and verified my database connection information yet it still does not work. Is this a possible result of an upgrade? The odd part for me is my JIRA was working after the upgrade and all of the sudden just stopped connecting to the database.

Andrew Morin November 27, 2012

Try removing all your plugins from the JIRA_HOME\plugins\installed-plugins and restart JIRA. I had to redo my upgrade on an earlier release removing all plugins before the upgrade and then reinstalling them after the upgrade completed.

0 votes
A May 5, 2013

Hi,

I've just encountered this error my self. I have a local database with me as the sole user. I haven't done any changes to the system, nor the JIRA instance.

I've tried to delete the plugins, with negative result. I've located the dbconfig.xml file, but don't know how to telnet to the database. This is the url stated in the config-file though:

&lt;url&gt;jdbc:hsqldb:D:\gmbaej\JIRA/database/jiradb&lt;/url&gt;

0 votes
Rich Goss December 11, 2012

Editing the JIRA_HOME/dbconfig.xml file resolved my issue.

Thanks!

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

please mark question correct so others can find it.

Suggest an answer