Work logs do not display for (1) user in our org; time sheet report error

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2012

We have a valid JIRA user in our sys named, Gary Dill (gdill). Two problems.

Summary:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Work logs do not get created most of the time for this user. We are pulling recorded hrs from JIRA into our invoicing system.

2. Time sheet report returns work logs for this user, but when run as an admin, the report does not return all work logs. Why does the report return data for Gary's work logs, but no data when I run it, as an admin?

Details:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. For some reason, most issues he logs time to do not get work logs generated. By this, I mean that there is no entry for Gary under the Work Log tab at the bottom of the issue. However, the activity stream for the issue correctly shows the time Gary logged AND the Time Tracking graphic on the r/h side of the issue screen correctly depicts Gary's Logged hours.

2. When a JIRA admin (palexan or nmoore) runs the Time Sheet Report for Gary or a group he belongs to, for the period of Nov 01-14, 2012, only one work log is returned...and that is for 2 hours on Nov 07 against issue # PALS-372. But, when Gary runs the same report, the report displays all of the work logs that he has done for the period. We cannot figure out how the work log for PALS-372 exists, but no others. Lastly, the problem seems to go back as far as early Oct 2012, but I have not spent any time looking further back.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

Forgot to update this old question I had.......working with Atlassian support, they figured out that one of my users was making his work logs view only for him (as opposed to the default view for everyone. Silly functionality, but in doing so, even me, a Jira Admin, could not see those time records in reports. And my anciliary process to pump Jira work log entries (hrs) to our invoicing system was unsuccessful.

Lesson learned the hard way here. Assure your folks do not make work logs private in Jira if you expect to report on that data or capture and move that data.

Suggest an answer