Will we see an Atlassian software appliance? Would you like to?

I'm talking about a virtual machine (ovf) that you could just download and fire up in your hypervisor of choice. Basically something like the OnDemand offering but for companies whose compliance officers don't let them store data offsite.

So this could contain all the Atlassian products, all configured (ie dragon quest complete), the ondemand nav bar stuff, an embedded ldap server which all the products would talk to so you'd share the same roles across all the projects, etc etc.

There would be no logging on so their closed source stuff is safe. A simple UI to setup, eg specify your corporate ldap server for authentication, and mail server, which would trickle down to all the products, so you don't have to do this 4 times.

Postgres included, and all the apps preconfigured. Wouldn't that make it much easier for evaluators? And would surely help sales if all the products were pre-installed, to activate them you just put in a valid licence.

Backing up becomes a doddle too, just take a snapshot. Updates also easy to create and apply (if you create it using a product like rBuilder or Oracle JeOS).

I'd probably include a code hosting environment as well, eg mercurial with RhodeCode...

BTW: I know there is a commercial hardware appliance that does some of this, I'm talking about a free software appliance though.

If I wanted to create one and put it on vmware marketplace, with eval licences, would Atlassian let me?

3 answers

0 vote

Oooh, I was only talking to them about doing an OnDemand "as a product" before Christmas, so I know they're looking at this sort of thing. Virtual machine images were mentioned, alog with a "heck, stick it on a DVD, preconfigured - Atlassian-in-a-box". I hinted at a live server image (like whacking a Linux CD in a machine and rebooting) and although it's not in my notes, I'm sure the word "appliance" got used somewhere.

They've got a group looking at Enterprise stuff like this, and I'm a plonker because I've completely misplaced the email address Josh gave me for it... I'll have a dig.

0 vote

It would be a nice one to have. Lot of customers have asked for the 'studio' like suite!

Has this been completed yet? It is nearly impossible and not cost effective to attempt to install all this on your own without installation training. Is there an .ISO or Appliance ready yet that we can just plug our licenses into?

David, here is an appliance that I am testing. Feel free to test it and give feedback on how to make it better. http://systemsector.com/atlassian-virtual-appliance/

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted 6 hours ago in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

23 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot