Will version hierarchy continue to be supported?

David Sutton September 27, 2012

We make heavy use of version hierarchies and as far as I'm aware they can only be configured from within the Planning Board view. With the recent upgrade of GreenHopper we are now notified that the Planning Board is now a 'Classic' part of the product and is being deprecated. Does anyone know what will happen to the version hierarchy feature if the Classic boards are removed?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2012

Hey, check this comment from Shaun Cloves (Atlassian):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/The+Future+of+GreenHopper

Aug 29, 2012

Shaun Clowes [Atlassian] says:

We would like to revisit release planning in the future, but we're pretty sure it won't be hierarchical versions because they joined the concepts of sprints and releases rather than allowing the two to be related.

In any case, we haven't removed any functionality at all, you can continue using the classic boards with the hierarchical verisons if you wish.

Thanks,
Shaun

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2012
Joel Heinke August 12, 2014

Ok, the original question was asked and answered in 2012. It's now 2014 and I want to see if there's any new direction/thought on this topic.

We also make use and depend on version hierarchy. It continues to work for now but I keep seeing references saying the Classic Board is going away. The only thing we use on the Classic Board is defining the version hierarchy as we add new versions. Without version hierarchy, a whole bunch of our filters that reference parent versions will stop working.

Is the version hierarchy capability and behavior going to be migrated to core Jira? Now that sprints and fixVersion have been separated that's the most logical direction this could take. I sure hope version hierarchy doesn't just disappear one day when Atlassian puts a new release out to AOD.

Can someone from Atlassian who knows the product roadmap respond with an update?

Suggest an answer