Why is my burndown chart not reflecting my progress status?

Jon Motz May 21, 2012

I'm using the statistic burndown chart with story points (daily). I have my version setup with multiple child versions (as my sprints). Since the project is quite large, I imported almost 500 issues with about 200+ of them being closed.They are in the current version I am trying to burndown. I've been closing stories but my burndown is almost flat and I cannot figure out why whatever I do doesn't impact the chart. Anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE: I should add that I have "released" all the old closed issues that I imported after adding them into child versions.

5 answers

1 vote
Deleted user October 9, 2012

When you mention importing issues, it sounds like a problem I ran into. I finally found this other posted question and answers ...

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/23524/issue-with-issue-burndown-chart

It sounds like, at least in some versions of these tools, that importing issues does not create sufficient history information to be able to produce correct burdown/up charts. There is a link to an Atlassian issue in the posting that provides a little more detail, but it was closed without fixing.

Don't know if this played a role in what you saw, but it makes sense for the problems I'm seeing. I've engaged Atlassian for help with this via ...

https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JSP-140369

It doesn't look promising so far.

Tom

1 vote
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2012

Hi,

I ran into a similar problem a while ago and support confirmed, that greenhopper doesn't calculate the story points right if the child version dates aren't within the parent versions dates.

Example:

Parent: start at 10.9. end at 20.9.
Child: start at 15.9. end at 25.9.

As the child is not within the parent greenhopper messes up the story point count.

Hope this helps

Thomas

1 vote
Jakub Pierzchała
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2012

Hi Motz,

Is your Burndown Chart based on number of issues because I believe it defaults to remaining hours.

0 votes
macielbombonato May 5, 2017

In my case, I created a dashboard and changed the default columns schema. 

When I puted the last column with the status Cancelled the burndown chart stoped to show my sprint evolution, but, when I puted the last column with the status DONE the things gone back to work.

0 votes
Ronald Buursma July 4, 2012

Can you add a screenshot of your Statistic Burndown Chart?

Suggest an answer