Why is Zephyr duplicating my steps when I clone a test case?

Amanda Troutman August 13, 2013

Since Zephyr does not offer versioning of test cases, my company clones the test case and archives the old one.

I have a 20+ step test case that doubled because the test step cloned (i.e. I had two of each step, all number the same. Step 1, Step 1, Step 2 Step 2).

Is this a setting in Zephyr or JIRA or is this a bug?

Thanks for any help! My team is new to testing Zephyr so we're not sure if this behavior is new as of any particular date.

• JIRA (v5.2.11#854-sha1:ef00d61) Not sure what version of Zephyr we're running but we have Check for Updates = Yes

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

Hi Amanda,

I need you to check something in JIRA. We are using the same version of JIRA so our steps will be the same:

1) Go to Administration > Custom Fields (Under Issues) > Custom Fields tab

2) Scroll down and look for "Zephyr Teststep"

Below is a link to an image of what I am looking for:

http://imgur.com/O0CHAGI

How many times is "Zephyr Teststep" listed? Is it more than once? More than likely you have this custom field more than once. This is what is causing duplicate test steps.

What you need to do is remove one of these custom fields. In order to know which one to remove please go to Plugins > Zephyr for JIRA > General Information tab. You will see "Custom Field Type Teststep Id" with a field number next to it. That is the number of the test step you need to keep. The others can be deleted.

Once you remove the extras please try cloning a test case. The test steps should no longer be duplicating. Also, unfortunately this will not fix the already cloned test cases with the duped test steps. You will need to manually remove those extras. However, now it should no longer be duplicating test steps.

Kind Regads,

Emily

Amanda Troutman August 29, 2013

That seems to be the cause. I'm just waiting on our admin to fix it!

Hanna Kutkowska July 13, 2014

Hi,

and how we can idetify that precvious custom fields haven't been used in some tasks. In other words, how we can prezent from losing a data related from other Zephyr Teststep.

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2014

Hello,

To know which Zephyr Teststep custom fields to delete you will want to do the following:

1) Go to Admin>Add Ons>Zephyr for JIRA>General Information tab

2) In here you will see Custom Field Type Teststep Id: With a number there. Please remember this numner.

3) Navigate too Admin>Issues>Custom Fields

4) You will see the multuple Zephyr Teststep fields.

5) Right click on one of the Zephyr TestStep fields and select InspectElement.

6) In here you will see what the Teststep ID is. Please remove all Zephyr Teststeps that do not have the Custom TestStep ID you saw in the Zephyr General Information tab.

You will just want to keep the one Zephyr Teststep that has the same ID you saw in the General Information tab.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Hanna Kutkowska July 14, 2014

Thank you for that comment.

But what if some some of the deleted fields will be connected with some old tasks. Will they disappear? How can I make sure that nothing from the history will be lost?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events