Why is Unresolved coming up twice in columns in a 2 dimensional gadget on dashboard??

DeniseThompson397 August 4, 2014

I have a 2 dimensional gadget that is displaying the "Unresolved" category twice. DOes anyone know why that is happening. There is only 1 issue in that column. When you click on the 1 which is a hyperlink it displays nothing in the filter, ie no jira issues??

Example below:

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2014

It does sound like indexing may be an issue, but just changing the filter should not fix a broken index, only issue updates will do that. It's more likely that your original filter was behaving oddly. Difficult to say why, without the details.

DeniseThompson397 August 5, 2014

Hi Nic, I've updated the original question with a screen shot. I can't reproduce the problem. I don't really understand how the problem fixed itself, maybe it was coincidence that it happened when I changed the filter name and put the original one back.

Have a look at the picture above anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2014

Odd looking one that. You definitely don't have a resolution of "unresolved"?

DeniseThompson397 August 5, 2014

We do have "unresolved" it means not Closed or cancelled. So it could be New, Waiitng Info, In Progress etc. It's just that somehow the data was confused and created a 2nd unresolved column that shouldn't have been there.

Thanks for all your help!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2014

Oh. You need to remove that option from the list of resolutions.

It does not fully explain all of the problem you've had here, but it certainly explains part of it. You got two columns because you have "unresolved" and the system "unresolved" which means "no resolution set".

That explains the second column, but not the failure to link to an issue with the broken resolution set. That's where I suspect a broken index.

Jira considers ANY use of the resolution field to mean "resolved". If you add "unresolved" to the list of resolutions, you've broken it for your humans because you've now got issues that are definitely resolved but telling them that they are not.

DeniseThompson397 August 6, 2014

I'm pretty sure we don't have "unresolved" as an option in the list of resolutions. I'm probably not able to check but as I understand it, from the gadgets ie. the Completed Versus Created one, Resolved means "closed" or "cancelled" but not rejected, and as soon as an issue is closed or cancelled the Resolved field becomes "Resolved" but prior to that it is "unresolved".

As a user that resolution field is not editable, but my understanding is that it is probably configured as a system generated field as per the above rules.

That 2nd column went away of it's own accord. There was only 1 issue in that 2nd column and it wasn't meant to be there, once the data sorted itself out it went back to 1 column.

Are there many problems with data in jira because of indexing? We do seem to get incorrect data every now and then. A filter displays a correct number, then the wrong number and then 1/2 later the correct one again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2014

It's not quite that. The Resolution field has no technical link with the status of an issue. We humans make a logical link, but if you dig through the Jira code and behaviour, you won't actually find one.

The resolution field is similar to most of the other "single select" lists in Jira. There's a list of possible options, and you can leave it "blank", or set it to one single value from that list. On top of that basic concept, Jira

• Lets you maintain the list of options
  • Behaves slightly differently on-screen - if the field is there on an edit/create screen, it selects a value and writes it away, there is no option for "empty"
  • When the field is genuinely empty, it displays "Unresolved"
  • ALL of Jira works on the assumption that "Unresolved" = "stuff needs doing", and "any other value selected" = "we're done with this issue, generally ignore it"

I'd recommend you vist Administration -> Issues -> Resolutions and check that the list of resolutions does not include any contradictory names like "unresolved". Because they mean "resolved" to Jira, no matter what the values are. If there's data in the field, what it says is irrelevant (open, unresolved, penguin, etc, the issue IS resolved)

However, it does sound like there are odd things going on with your index. In older versions of Jira, errors used to creep in sometimes, and it was always very hard to pin them down to any one thing going bang. In more recent versions, there's only two real culprits - server issues (it dies in the middle of a write, out of disk space, stuff like that) and users trying to be clever with code that's wrong. Off the shelf, indexing issues are now very unlikely.

If you've got issues appearing and disappearing from filters, you'll need to debug why - first nail down an issue that it's happened to, and then look at its history - what was the activity on the issue during the time things were wrong? Secondly, read the log fiel - any errors? Especially ones talking about indexing?

DeniseThompson397 August 6, 2014

Oh thanks Nic, you've been really helpful. I was reading up a bit before I got your message and my conclusion was that I think our server might be overloaded.

I have access to a couple of Projects but no Administration access. I certainly can't look at log files. I can't really get that sort of info anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2014

If your server is overloaded, you should be seeing clues in the logs - "lucene" related errors, memory stuff and so-on are good indicators. Start with them :-)

DeniseThompson397 August 7, 2014

I imagine the IT staff are doing that, and I think they might be aware of it. I don't have access. Last year they installed Structure and it kept crashing the server and they had to take it away because it was overloading the server I think. That's the reason they gave me. Also we use Tempo and that often runs so slowly that you can't use it. I'm just a user but I do spend 90% of my day in jira so I like to understand it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2014

Ah, ok, sounds like you need to get them to do some tuning of the application and server settings!

0 votes
DeniseThompson397 August 4, 2014

strangely, I removed the filter and replaced the 2 dimensional gadget with another filter and then put the original filter back in and the problem went away. Is this an indexing problem?

Suggest an answer