Why can't I change a story's status on Classic planning board when I am system Admin?

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

I am a System Admin and neither I nor the Project Lead on a project are able to edit the status of a story on the classic planning board. The documentation says that it can be done.

2 answers

0 votes
Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

Am I right, that you are able to change the status in JIRA itself? If so, I guess it seems to be a misunderstanding:

In the planning board afaik no change of status could be made, it is simply meant to rank/prioritize your issues/tasks.

In the task board you can move the issues - via drag'n'drop - throughout the workflow, until they are closed/done.

I guess, if you click on the status in the planning board (as to be seen in your second screenshot) it changes to the task board, right? For me it does.

Hope I am right with my assumptions, if not let me know by another comment.

Kind regards
Kai

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

If I am able to change the status when I have the story open. So that is working fine. According to JIra documentation "Managing Dashboards", it clearly states that we should be able to update the status from the planning board and that is what we can not do and is the second screen shot in my above comment. I CAN move the issues from column to column in the TASK board, it is working fine. If I am in the planning board, and click on the status, it does indeed take me to the classic board as you mentioned above, however, according to the documentation, I should get a little pencil to the right of the status in the Planning board and be able to update it within the planning board, so I do not have to go from one board to another.

below is the veribiage in the Jira documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Using+the+Classic+Planning+Board. that statesit should be editable

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

Okay, now I see where your problem is. According to the documentation the field "status" should indeed be editable:

I have not known (and used this) before and am kind of curious if this shall really work, or is just a bug in the documentation. I'd tend to think the second guess.

So as I do not know any solution, I'll stay on the watchlist and wait for the answer as well. apologize.

Kind regards

Kai

0 votes
Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

Hi Jana,

first of all I'd check if your current role (whichever is linked to group system-administrator) is according to the permission scheme and the workflow allowed to change the status.

If so, it would be interesting if it does work in JIRA and not in Greenhopper. You are stating:

"neither I nor the Project Lead on a project are able to edit the status of a story on the classic planning board"

Are you really refering to a status change, or do you mean a change in the rank of the issue? If you do refer to a status change maybe you can attach a screenshot and a more precise description on where exactly you try to change the status.

Cheers
Kai

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

I am trying to update the "Status" not the ranking on the planning board. In the permissions, I am included in the permissions workgroup for administration and editing (see screen shot) of the permission workgroups assigned, so I don't think it has to do with permissions. I am also in the System Admin workgroup.

Suggest an answer