Why can I ONLY import a Word doc into a Space and not into a specific sub-area?

Mick Davidson December 14, 2011

When I use Import Word Document, the doc is imported into the home page of the space, not the the area that I started the import process from.

This isn't helpful as I want to add the doc to the area I'm in, not somewhere else.

Why does it work this whay and what can I do to get around this problem?

This is especially annoying when you have some spaces that are visible to clients but you want to add the new doc to a section within that which is restricted to specific clients.

I have had this happen and it is very annoying to find a doc that should be in a restricted area that actually appears in a non-restricted area and is therefore visible to all clients.

I have rerun the import process to check the options and the only choice I have is to import it into a space; the default ought to be as a subpage of the page you're on and the option should be to make it a subpage of the space's Home page.

If not, then this functionality should only be available from the Home page, because if it's available elsewhere then you are misleading people into thinking that the doc will be imported to the area they run the process from.

Is there anything in the pipeline to get this fixed?

Cheers,

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2012

Sometimes, we fail to see the obvious. I have been watching this thread because I felt it a problem as well .... and then I worked around it and did not notice. So here workaround as answer to your problem

1. Navigate to the page, where you want the content to be imported
  2. Create a child page with the name desired and save (you should end up on the empty page now)
  3. Import the word document and choose the option "replace <page name of the newly created page>" and the rest as desired
  4. Done

Mick Davidson March 21, 2012

Now that's a neat idea!

Thanks, I'll test it out on a guinea pig or two. :)

Cheers

0 votes
Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2012

And everybody vote for it, too :)

0 votes
TonyA December 15, 2011

Hi, Mick:

There's an open feature request to add the ability to specific where a word file gets imported to:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23025

I'd suggest watching that issue, that's the best way to keep track of any progress.

Best,

Tony

Mick Davidson December 15, 2011

Tony,

Thanks for that, I've bookedmarked it for future reference. :)

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events