• Community
  • Questions
  • Why can I ONLY import a Word doc into a Space and not into a specific sub-area?

Why can I ONLY import a Word doc into a Space and not into a specific sub-area?

When I use Import Word Document, the doc is imported into the home page of the space, not the the area that I started the import process from.

This isn't helpful as I want to add the doc to the area I'm in, not somewhere else.

Why does it work this whay and what can I do to get around this problem?

This is especially annoying when you have some spaces that are visible to clients but you want to add the new doc to a section within that which is restricted to specific clients.

I have had this happen and it is very annoying to find a doc that should be in a restricted area that actually appears in a non-restricted area and is therefore visible to all clients.

I have rerun the import process to check the options and the only choice I have is to import it into a space; the default ought to be as a subpage of the page you're on and the option should be to make it a subpage of the space's Home page.

If not, then this functionality should only be available from the Home page, because if it's available elsewhere then you are misleading people into thinking that the doc will be imported to the area they run the process from.

Is there anything in the pipeline to get this fixed?

3 answers

1 accepted

Sometimes, we fail to see the obvious. I have been watching this thread because I felt it a problem as well .... and then I worked around it and did not notice. So here workaround as answer to your problem

1. Navigate to the page, where you want the content to be imported
  2. Create a child page with the name desired and save (you should end up on the empty page now)
  3. Import the word document and choose the option "replace <page name of the newly created page>" and the rest as desired
  4. Done

Now that's a neat idea!

Thanks, I'll test it out on a guinea pig or two. :)

Hi, Mick:

There's an open feature request to add the ability to specific where a word file gets imported to:

I'd suggest watching that issue, that's the best way to keep track of any progress.

Thanks for that, I've bookedmarked it for future reference. :)

And everybody vote for it, too :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Jason Wong
Published yesterday in Agility Beta

Welcome to agility

Every team in the world is unique, and so   Atlassian believes   that each and every team's best way of working  needs to  be molded to their unique circumstances  – ...

238 views 5 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot