Why are Orphaned Pages created in the first place?

Steve Johnson June 20, 2012

How is it that some pages I create under a space get created as orphaned, and others are children of the space?

It is very confusing. An orphaned page is not shown in the space anywhere, even though you know you just clicked save. I'm not sure how this happens. Is it normal to have orphaned pages, essentially a page that doesn't exist except in a search result?

Thanks.

4 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

If you create a page using Add (or Create) from another page, it should end up being a child of that page. Similarly, if you create a link to a non-existent page, when a user clicks on that link, the page will be created as a child of the page where the link appeared.

By contrast, if you create a page from the main dashboard (as mentioend), it won't have a parent unless you give it one. Worse, if you create a page using the Add menu that appears under Browser> Pages, there is no way to give the page a parent.

There are two ways to see orphan pages -- when you Browse > Pages and choose the Tree view, they will appear as top-level pages, the same (usually) as the home page of the space. Also, you can see a list of orphan pages in the space by going to the Advanced tab of the space admin interface.

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2012

Hi Steve,

Most common case of orphaned page is when you create the page from the "Add Page" button on the dashboard. Since Confluence doesn't ask the parent of the page, it will be created as a new parent page or orphaned page.

Hope it clarify your doubts.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes

From a "global" template, if it matters... :)

0 votes

Actually, one thing I've discovered is that if I create a page from a template in a space, it orphans the page. Why is this?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events