Why am I getting an "HTTP Error" when attempting to upload an image to a solution here on Atlassian Answers?

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

In trying to be the most helpful I can be in answering other users' questions here on Atlassian Answers, I want to upload screenshots and other images with JIRA settings that can help.  However, just a minute ago I attempted to upload an image to my written solution for this question and the Upload File window would show the progress bar of the image upload reach 100% but then show HTTP Error in a yellow warning box and I would not be able to actually upload the image and the Import button is grayed out then. 

I even just tried to upload an image to this very question and I got the same HTTP Error.   Is this a proxy issue or something that is potentially on Answers itself?

1 answer

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Also, if I try to drag and drop an image directly onto one of these answers or comments, it says "Invalid Response Received from the Server"

Raksha Singh April 18, 2018

Hey did you find answer for your query ?

If yes please share the same,looks like i ma also facing similar kind of error.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2018

Raksha,

He's referring to our old community forum, Atlassian Answers. Atlassian Community is newer and is running on a different platform so the error won't be the same issue.

Can you show us what problem you're having exactly or did you report it in another question?

Shannon

Raksha Singh April 18, 2018

Hi,

I am trying to upload a mp4 file whose size is 248 MB .

it will upload till 100% and then fails with :

"Invalid response received from the server"

Raksha Singh error.confluence.PNGerror.confluence2.PNG

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2018

Ah sorry, I thought he was referring to not being able to upload an image to Answers, our old site, but this is in Jira. My apologies.

I would recommend you have a look at this article for the resolution: 

It's a setting you'll need to change on your server itself so you may need to speak to the server administrator if that's not you.

Shannon

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

That url looks like a Confluence url, not Lithium, so I suspect the question is about Confluence really.

The error message from nginx is helpful - it's not configured or built to handle files as large as the one you are trying to upload.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, nice catch!

The original title was throwing me off as well since it mentioned Answers.

The resolution I sent mentions updating the limit in NGINX or Apache itself, which you can try, but as Nic mentioned it might simply be too large for your server.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer