Why am I able to edit answers of other users on Atlassian Answers

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2016

Hi everibody,

I noticed that I am able to edit ansers of other users here. On screenshot there is a qustion of other user and I have an edit option for it.

Is it a bug or feature?

Best regards, Vasiliy.

UpdateAnswersOfOther.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2016

When your karma is high enough, you're trusted to edit questions and answers.

I rarely do it, because I wouldn't like to accidentally change the meaning or style of what other people say.  Even when they're wrong, or posting stuff that's useless or pointless (there's one user here who posts adverts for stuff that doesn't work on old questions which is annoying), I prefer to leave the answer and explain what is wrong.  And it feels rude to stomp on someone else's writing.

As for "why", I think Atlassian hopes that high-karma people will do some "curation" of the Q&A.  I've tidied up a few good answers by changing spelling or words so that a search is more likely to find stuff.  But mostly I use the edit function to remove the more offensive stuff or spam (removing the body of a spam means it can't be searched, which is what the spammers want, but the ability to just ban them means I don't need to do this any more)

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2016

I see, thank you for explanation. 

Is there any information how carma opens any other features of Atlassian Answers?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2016

Ah, you know, I haven't got a clue if it's documented.  I've had a couple of brief conversations with the Atlassians who run and support it, but I'm afraid I've never had to think about it, as I've carried high karma over from the last two systems!

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2016

Apparently you need at least 3000 Karma to Ban users, so that might be a good guess for the cutoff.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2016

There's a page documenting the reputation levels here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AAC/Expert+power, but I see that it's actually a bit out of date. I've given it an update just now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events