Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Atlassian User Accounts are related to which other ones? (Doc request)

Laura Kolker
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2011

I was originally going to just create a wiki page somewhere and link to it here, but I gave up under the weight of trying to figure out where it should go and if I had edit access to wherever that was. So, here's what I'm thinking:

People who've been in the Atlassian community for any length of time find they have multiple Atlassian user accounts (my.atlassian.com, confluence.atlassian.com, etc.). Some of the servers use the same account, some don't. Sometimes new servers come into being and start being referenced, and it can be brutally difficult to figure out if you even have an account already for that server, and if you do which one it is. I know long term Atlassian'd probably like to have a single sign on something, but in the meantime:

Atlassian doc writers: Can we have a doc page somewhere (that I can favourite) that identifies which servers are related to each other re: user accounts?
my.a.c = p.a.c = a.a.c = ?
c.a.c = d.a.c ?
s.p.a.c = ?
s.a.c = ?
??? =

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2011

Hi Laura.

Yep, you've hit on the big topic of User Accounts in the Atlassian ecosystem. I'll admit it's pretty embarassing and we've been trying to improve things behind-the-scenes. For example, recent capabilities of Embedded Crowd will allow the systems to connect to an LDAP with a large number of users. When we did this previously, the products tried to load a list of all users into memory and... kaboom!

If we were starting all our systems (support.atlassian.com, jira.atlassian.com, confluence.atlassian.com) again, we'd now be able to support a single username & password across all systems. However, we're having to work out a way to support historical logins without 'fu**ing the customer' by forcing them to lose all historical information.

In the meantime, I can tell you that these systems share the same username & password:

• answers.atlassian.com
  • my.atlassian.com
  • The Order Form
  • plugins.atlassian.com
  • translations.atlassian.com

These systems use their own username & password, NOT shared with any other system:

• support.atlassian.com
  • jira.atlassian.com
  • confluence.atlassian.com
  • developer.atlassian.com
  • university.atlassian.com
  • studio.plugins.atlassian.com

I can't make any promises about when this messy situation will be improved, but in the meantime I recommend that people use their same email address on all systems, which will make it easier for us to merge later on. (Requesting the same username will make things simpler, too.)

John Rotenstein
Atlassian IT

Robert Park February 10, 2014

Is this why in Confluence I see myself duplicated so much on the People page? I see six instances of myself on Confluence's People page. Mind you, I don't think I've signed up for 6 of the different things listed above... I also see some other people listed multiple times too, but nobody as many as me.

Although if this is not the reason why I'm listed so many times, I sure would like to figure out how to clean up that People page so that everyone is listed only once... but haven't been able to find any solution yet, maybe need to file a ticket.

1 vote
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 29, 2011
Also, accidentally email e.g. dev-relations from the wrong emaill address and presto! You get a new JIRA account created. So a list of email addresses that map to support.a.c or jira.a.c or another would be dandy too!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events