Where to find the Wiki markup documentation of macros in Confluence 5.x?

CodeSmile May 14, 2013

In earlier Confluence versions we had to enter the macros like {macro:param=value} in the text. Now Confluence 5.x hides that behind rich-text editing which is fine most of the time.

However in some situations, for example when editing a space theme, velocity templates or when inserting the "wiki markup" macro I still need to be able to look up what the name and parameters of the wiki markup for a specific macro is.

Case in point: there's a {html} macro which works fine in Rich-Text editing, but when I need to do so in Wiki markup I have no idea what the syntax of the macro is. The macro documentation pages (here: html macro) completely hides that information from users too.

Here's another example, the page tree macro. It explains the values, however it doesn't show the alias names for the wiki markup parameters. For example what's the wiki markup parameter name for "Include Search Box above Page Tree"? It remains a mystery and it's driving me nuts! :(

Update: I found that by going back to v3.5 documentation the pagetree macro page actually lists the wiki markup alias names. That's how it should be!

So where can I get a full list of wiki markup macros, parameters and descriptions? In earlier Confluence versions there was a link to a popup window with the markup syntax of all installed macros - this link was on every page that you were editing. That's what I'm looking for!

I also remember there was a macro that renderered all the macro documentation to a wiki page, that would be a workable solution too.

Note: I found this Wiki Markup Macros page, but it only describes default macros and not those added by plugins. It also doesn't document the {spaces} and {pagetree} macros which I believe are default macros, so it's incomplete.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Goldberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

I've discovered parameters this way:

1. Create a page and input the macro with no parameters set in the page. Save the page.
  2. Edit the page again and put junk values in all the parameters. Save the page.
  3. Look at the page diff - you'll see all the parameter names appear as part of the change.
CodeSmile May 21, 2013

Nice find, works like a charm!
Only downside is that it doesn't print the name of the macro itself, which may not coincide with whatever you enter after the {
At least I found that {html} works fine as autocomplete macro but not in places where I must enter wiki markup.

1 vote
Steve Goldberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

I know I've already answered the question but for reference, I have just found one of the most useful items of documentation for finding the store format ('wiki markup') for macros within user macros: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Storage+Format+for+Macros

0 votes
Jason Muzzarelli September 17, 2013

If I understand the thread here, I'm right there with you Steffen...right now I am trying to modify the parameters for a link displayed on a page and in 3.4 this would have been a snap. I am struggling to find how I can make changes to a macros parameters that used to be readily available via wiki markup.

0 votes
CodeSmile May 15, 2013

[please delete, can't delete it myself for some reason]

0 votes
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

Hi Steffen,

If you look at the URL for the html macro you linked, you'll see the spacekey is DOC. This is the doc space for the current version of Confluence. If you change this to CONF<VERSION> like CONF35, you'll get that version of the documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF35/HTML+Macro

There is some wiki markup stuff there. Is this what you're looking for?

Hope this helps!

CodeSmile May 15, 2013

This is what I'm doing. It's just awkward and I suppose sooner or later I'll come across a macro whose parameters have changed or new ones added to - what then?

I think the wiki markup notation is still relevant in Conf 5.x so it should be in the 5.x docs, if only as a footnote or on a separate, single page.

I was also hoping the "macro documentation" macro was still available. I think that was an external plugin though. I never really used it in Conf 3.x because back then it was just redundant since the macro markup help was readily available from the editor.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events