When adding a new JIRA user, that user does not receive any email notification

Paul Roberts April 19, 2017

User Management --> Users --> Create User

I create the user and supply valid email address, that user does not receive any email notification for new user or password reset.  That user cannot log in becasue they have no password (and probbly other security issues for not following the link in new user email)

I have setup the other (12) users in the same way over the past 10months, all to email on the same domain (office 365 setup), no problems.

My expectation is to create the user and assign group(s), they receive the email, follow the link and automajically they're in.  However, this person does not receive the email and never gets a password and cannot get in.  

I have sent password reset for existing users and the email is received.  (I know it sounds like a problem with my email setup but the account does receive email from other sources)

I can 'log in as user' for that user from the User Management screen and all seems in order, just not that first email.  The email addres is definitely valid.

Please help.

Thanks,

Paul

2 answers

0 votes
Neal Applebaum April 19, 2017

Did the user check their SPAM folder? What do you mean by "I can 'log in as user' for that user from the User Management screen and all seems in order, just not that first email."? Can you log in as that user from the main login screen?

Paul Roberts April 20, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Checked the SPAM, not in there.

There is a button on the User Management --> Users -->'specific user' page called 'Log in as User' which temporarily logs you in as that user, so you can see what they would see if they were able to login.  No passwords involved, just click the button and you're presented wit their dashboard.

Neal Applebaum April 20, 2017

Is that Log in as user a new feature in JIRA (I am still on version 6.4.10), or an add-on you have installed? In our JIRA, I have installed a free addon that allows me to log in as another user, but its interface is different. So, I wonder both if that is an addon or new feature, and have you actually tried logging in as the user directly instead of the spoofing method? You said you are using cloud version, so does that mean you cannot use addons? Have you tried changing the email address to yours, and then clicking the forgot password link to see if you get an email?

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2017

Is the new user using a Gmail account? Gmail is pretty sensitive to things being correct in order to accept mail. Is your outbound mail configured to relay through O365 or are you using a local mailserver on the server itself (ie: localhost)? If you're not relaying mail through O365, I would try that to see if it resolves the issue.  I'd also verify that the person's email address is not associated with any other account. Multiple accounts with the same email address can confuse some of the Atlassian apps.

Paul Roberts April 20, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Not using gmail.

I'm using the cloud version of JIRA and my only Outbound Mail setting is that it is 'enabled'.

I have 13 users, all with the same email domain, #13 is the new user and the only one not receiving any notifications.

I raised a support ticket for this aissue and received an email confirming the suport ticket was raised and then received another email stating that atlassian couldn't find this user 13 on the system.  (I added user 13 as a watcher)  I expect that's something to do with it.

Suggest an answer