What will happen if I remove a custom "unresolved" resolution?

Doug Varn November 14, 2013

Whoever set up our Jira apparently created an "Unresolved" resolution though that is not recommmended.

I'd like to simply remove this resolution, but I'm terribly unsure since I don't know what that will do, this is my first week at the company and there are 1,000's of tickets sitting with this state across all projects.

Can someone (from Atlassian) tell me what this will do? I'm hoping essentially nothing... the custom "Unresolved" we created will simply go away and will in turn change to the Jira-internal "Unresolved", all will be well, and I won't get fired for adversely affecting 1,000's of tickets.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2013

"not recommended" is a bit of an understatement. If I had written that warning, it would just say "Don't. Ever."

When you click delete, Jira could thrash a bit. It's going to go off and find every issue where it has been applied first, so it can tell you how many there are. Then it's going to ask you "change it to what?" (which includes the correct "none"), and then it's going to apply it to every single issue you have that has it set. This could be rather large. So I'd recommend running a simple filter to establish the scale of the problem. If it's a few hundred, then it's going to churn for a short while. If it's thousands, I'd be planning to do it out of hours and maybe sticking a banner up to say "Jira is going to be slow for a while". If it's tens of thousands, I'd be warning the entire user base it's going to be effectively offline for a good chunk of time...

Doug Varn November 14, 2013

Ok, thanks. So other than slowing things down to a greater or lesser extent, all will be well with the many tickets existing (closed or open) with our currently custom Unresolved resolution? To the end user, no changes?... will still show Unresolved?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2013

Well, no, they'll see changes. "Unresolved" issues will no longer be struck out because they're resolved. They'll be shown accurately now.

Status won't change though, or any other field.

0 votes
Deleted user November 12, 2015

Hi All,

If the custom resolution is mentioned in some of the workflow post functions, how it will affect deleting the resolution value.

Thanks

Fahad V A

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2015

The workflow functions will probably stop working. It depends on how they are coded and configured. I'm guessing they are post-functions setting the "unresolved" resolution that you REALLY should never have added? If that's the case, then it's not too much of a pain - users won't be able to reopen issues until you fix the workflows, and to do that, you just need to replace these ones with "resolution will be cleared" functions

Suggest an answer